Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

I have a Question ?  

• 0/5

Author10 Posts

Can you please explain me the consequences of Insulin Deficiency on Renal System and on Pottassium Ion.

Can anyone point me atleast to any links regaarding the concepts as listed above, i am waiting for anyone to put any kind of comments that can help me to move forward.

well insulin deficiency will lead to formation of ketoacids...(acidosis)...which will lead to hyperkalemia...potassium will move out of cell inexchange for increased H+ ion due to acidosis...

on renal system it will lead to diabetic nephropathy...which includes focal areas of glomerulosclerosis and afferent and efferent hyaline arteriosclerosis...

in the initial stage there is increased GFR cause of invovement of efferent arteriole first...

ACE inhibitors are the treatment of choice cause they decrease angiotensin II which normally vasoconstricts the efferent arteriole...

i hope it helped....

Insulin pushes glucose, amino acids and fatty acids into cells of muscle and adipose tissue. But it also pushes potassium into cell!

There was a case of a boy who wanted to be a racer, but he had problems during physical activity (muscle weakness and paralysis) - due to hypokaliemical periodic paralysis. In those moments, friends would give him candies in order to make him feel better, but he was then even worse! Because of insulin... Do you understand it?

Insulin increased his post-exercise hypokalemia, so there was hyperpolarization of cell membranes and action potentials couldn't be evoked

Good one mildus......smiling face

Thanks Mesh and Mildus. that helped a lot.

u r welcome....nod

i just want to add a small note

there will be obvious hyperkalemia but in fact there is hypokalemia because there is intracellular loss of k in exchange with H ion and increase excretion of it (k) by the late distal tubule and collecting ducts

in diabetis ketoacidosis, plasma potassium is often in normal range because though the whole body potassium decrease on account of the depletion of Na and K from the kidney, but it is offset by the exchange betweeen the plasma H and the intracellular k , in addition dehydration also concentrate the plasma potassium .

Edited by fleuve on Jul 22, 2005 - 10:13 PM

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

dear bbb, i have a question ,pls reply
i have question about usmleworld
Hi! i have a question about kaplan Q bank.
show Related resources

Conrad Fischer's Internal Medicine Question Book

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact