Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

PTH  

• 0/5

Author12 Posts

Another question on renal phys please:

I read that one of the mechanisms by which PTH increases concentration of plasma calcium is by decreasing the reabsorption of HCO3.

Can anybody outhere help me understandiong this please? I have problems grasping how and why this ocurs.

Thank you

shaking head

I know for 3 roles of PTH:

1. in kidney:

a. increased reabsorption of Ca

b. decreased reabsorption of phosphates (why? you know that Ca and phosphates make insoluble Ca-phosphate, so we want to get rid of phoshates in order to have our Ca free)

2. in bones:

increases bone resorption (so increases both Ca and phosphates in plasma)

3. in intestines:

indirect effect: increases absorption of Ca and phosphates (by hormone D3 which is activated by PTH)

Now, you asked about HCO3. I am not sure, but I think this is the reason:

You know that extracellular calcium is found in 3 forms.

1. diffusible (filtrable)

a. ion Ca (free) about 40 %

b. Ca in complex with anions like citrate, phosphate... about 10 %

2. undiffusible (not filtrable)

Ca attached to proteins

Calcium which is attached to proteins serves as a reservoir, so when we need more free calcium in plasma, it can be liberated. How? Recall that proteins and amino acids have both positive and negative groups. Calcium is a positive ion so it binds to negative groups of proteins (COO- group). When you have acidosis (too much H+), H+ as positive ion will also bind to COO- of proteins so there will be less groups to bind with calcium. So calcium will be liberated from proteins and there will be more free calcium in plasma. I want to say that H+ substituted calcium in proteins. I hope that we now understood how increased H+ increases plasma level of calcium. And now, what about bicarbonate ions? When there are less HCO3 (due to decreased reabsorption), what will happen to H+? You know for the formula H+ + HCO3- = H2CO3 (HCO3 buffers H+ ions so decreased HCO3 will increase H+).

Thank you mildus.Now it makes sens.

So can we generalize that with the same concentration of plasma PTH, increasing of ph will increase plasma calcium concentration then??

Sorrybut I wanted to write decreasing of ph not incresing of ph.

Yes! Acidosis - decreased pH (increased H+) will increase plasma calcium concentration. Alkalosis - increased pH (decreased H+) will decrease calcium concentration. That is why alkalosis, by promoting the binding of calcium to albumin, can reduce the fraction of ionized calcium in blood, causing tetany.

mildus wrote:
I know for 3 roles of PTH:

1. in kidney:

a. increased reabsorption of Ca

b. decreased reabsorption of phosphates (why? you know that Ca and phosphates make insoluble Ca-phosphate, so we want to get rid of phoshates in order to have our Ca free)

2. in bones:

increases bone resorption (so increases both Ca and phosphates in plasma)

3. in intestines:

indirect effect: increases absorption of Ca and phosphates (by hormone D3 which is activated by PTH)

Now, you asked about HCO3. I am not sure, but I think this is the reason:

You know that extracellular calcium is found in 3 forms.

1. diffusible (filtrable)

a. ion Ca (free) about 40 %

b. Ca in complex with anions like citrate, phosphate... about 10 %

2. undiffusible (not filtrable)

Ca attached to proteins

Calcium which is attached to proteins serves as a reservoir, so when we need more free calcium in plasma, it can be liberated. How? Recall that proteins and amino acids have both positive and negative groups. Calcium is a positive ion so it binds to negative groups of proteins (COO- group). When you have acidosis (too much H+), H+ as positive ion will also bind to COO- of proteins so there will be less groups to bind with calcium. So calcium will be liberated from proteins and there will be more free calcium in plasma. I want to say that H+ substituted calcium in proteins. I hope that we now understood how increased H+ increases plasma level of calcium. And now, what about bicarbonate ions? When there are less HCO3 (due to decreased reabsorption), what will happen to H+? You know for the formula H+ + HCO3- = H2CO3 (HCO3 buffers H+ ions so decreased HCO3 will increase H+).

Hi, Mildus, you are correct, but I think Calcium is 40% combined with the plasma proteins, 10% is combined with anionic substances of the plasma and interstitial fluids, and the remaining 50% of the calcium in the plasma is both diffusible through the capillary membrane. and ionized.

Sorry. You are right.

And do you know the difference in calcium concentration between interstitium and plasma?

I think is no difference because the plasma and the interstitial fluids have a normal calcium ion concentration of about 1.2mmol/L…..talking about ionized form of calcium…Please complete me or tell me if I am wrong...Ramo<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ionized calcium concentration is the same.

And what about calcium combined with proteins? You know that plasma proteins concentration is 60 to 80 g/l, and in interstitium, protein concentration is about 20 g/l. So, what about calcium?

Can someone explain to me the mechanism of tetany in hypocalcemia? I think it has no effect on RMP since membrane is impermeable to Ca at rest. Is there no effect on RMP but only on excitability?

Thanks.

Interstitial fluid Ca 1.5 mM(.1 % of total) mostly ionized and Plasma 2.5 mM(.5 % of total) half ionized (as u know)

nod

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

BLOOD SUPPLY TO PTH
PTH... surgery or not??
PTH
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact