Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

No1 AIDS patient killer--among fungi ?  

• 0/5

Author5 Posts

A Cryptococcus
B Pneumocystis

i think pneumocystis carinii ....particulkarly when CD4 counts less than 200

But I think their leading overall cause of death is a ("wasting syndrome")

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol10no10/03-0981.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol8no9/02-0096.htm

PLEASE check out these articles from CDC. Pneumocystis used to be considered a protozooan, but is now considered a fungus. I did not know this and you might not, either. Please note that its name has also been changed, and is no longer known as P. carinii:

"For almost 80 years, Pneumocystis jirovecii (formerly carinii) was considered to be a protozoan. In 1988, DNA studies clearly demonstrated that it was not a single species but a complex group of eukaryotic microorganisms, which were assigned to the kingdom Fungi (2–4) at the branch point between Ascomycota and Basidiomycota (5)."

"From the time of its discovery, until late in the 1980s, Pneumocystis was widely thought to be a protozoan. These views were based on several criteria: 1) strong similarities in microbe morphology and host pathology, 2) absence of some phenotypic features typical of fungi, 3) presence of morphologic features typical of protozoa, 4) ineffectiveness of antifungal drugs, and 5) effectiveness of drugs generally used to treat protozoan infections. Some investigators pointed out that Pneumocystis organisms exhibit morphologic similarities to fungi (2). Nevertheless, the protozoan hypothesis remained predominant until 1988, when DNA analysis demonstrated that Pneumocystis is a fungus, albeit an odd one, lacking in ergosterol and very difficult to grow in culture (12,13) . "

Webprep named B as the first killer to AIDS patients.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

hey no1 knows abt synergy hospital,MI
Doubt no1 !
Infertility No1, back to the basics
show Related resources

Practical Guide to the Care of the Medical Patient

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact