Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

John buchanan, the coach.....  

• 0/5

Author11 Posts

JOHN Buchanan famous Coach for Australian team was admitted for terminal illenss. he was in and out of coma a couple of times,and now fully conscious and alert. he gives advance directives for his further care. if he were to be in coma again, no heroic measures are to be adopted he tells. He was asked to sign a DNR and he complies.Later in the night, he was found to be gasping for breath.You are the Intern and the nearest doctor available.What the most appropriate next step in management?
a.Declare that patient is dead once he is.
b.Start Heimlich's manuevere
c.Start back blows
d.Call for help
e.ask him whether he wants to change his mind
f.Neglect him and act as if you have not seen him
g.Resign from the hospital
h.Stop preparing for USMLE

I would love to pick H, :cry: as i hate these tests......but i will have to pick B.

B

--

yeap! :|
How is it going Mash? When is the test?

Well two people have tried , but many will try.
I know that they will be wrong, since this question is absolutely tricky.But it is given in Kaplan , and the answer is A !!
A competent patient can refuse the treatment , even if it means death!
He has signed DNR and that is an absolute giveway in answering this question.This is not my brainchild, it is very very clearly given in Kaplan q book, Psychiatry.Please refer.

Page # and q # please?

"jayakrishna" wrote:
Well two people have tried , but many will try.
I know that they will be wrong, since this question is absolutely tricky.But it is given in Kaplan , and the answer is A !!
A competent patient can refuse the treatment , even if it means death!
He has signed DNR and that is an absolute giveway in answering this question.This is not my brainchild, it is very very clearly given in Kaplan q book, Psychiatry.Please refer.

Can't we go for E what is wrong in that to let him think again?

wish i had seen this earlier. anyway i would have answered e but a is absolutely right , they have worded it a little bluntly to throw us off the track.

He signed about not treating hingoing to coma but the problem is of breathing problem.......so whats stopping you from treating his breathing problem?

answer is B, do what you must do.....he is not died yet, so do your job..... :lol: :icon_salut:

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

john buchanan
USMLE coach?
Slow coach's crawl and final dash
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact