Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

ischemic heart disease  

• 0/5

Author4 Posts

In the diagnosis of ischemic heart disease, what is the best step in patient that can't exercise? and what's the positive test result? what's the mechanism?

you haven't spelled out the details in your question. since your patient can't exercise, has he/she already had an MI? or in other words, what is the reason why your patient can't exercise - is it low output state chronic congestive cardiac failure or waht?

first of all getting an Echocardiogram would be a good idea to evaluate for the systolic dysfunction and the current Ejection Fraction.
assuming its post MI and the patient is a high risk one
based on clinical criteria, such patients need to undergo cardiac cath and angiography to assess the state of vessels
and if they're suggestive of extensive triple vessel disease and stuff they may need urgent angioplasty/CABG - the decision between the two will be made by taking other factors into account.

post MI low risk patients can undergo symptom limited exercise testing after 2-3 weeks and if that is ok, medical management is continued,
if not, they will also require coronary angiography to assess the vessel status.

other options are
Dobutamine stress Echo,
myocardial perfusion scans to assess the infarct size and all

regards

drvic

Sorry for the confusion. let me reconstruct my question. Let's say, for a patient who has been amputated due to diabetes who can't exercise on the treadmill stress test.

From what I've learned, for patient who can't exercise on stress treadmill,

1, either dobutamine with echocardiography or
2, persantine/thallium, adenosine /thallium.

and the positive results are accordingly:
1, decreased wall movement
2, decreased uptake

I am not sure what's the use of stress echocardiography ?? and can you name the mechanism underneath the positive results above?

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

25% patients of ischemic heart disease ??
Estrogen and Ischemic Heart Disease
Ischemic Changes
show Related resources

Heart Sounds and Murmurs
Pocket Companion to Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease
Heart Sounds and Cardiac Arrhythmias

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact