Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

H1 and USMLE Step3  

• 0/5

Author5 Posts

Hi everyone,
My question is, in order to start a program in 2005 June-july with H1 visa, when do I have to receive my step3 pass result. Is it before match day or do I have time till the program starting date...

H 1 Processing takes normally 3 months.H 1 premium processing takes only two weeks.Step 3 results normally take 4 weeks.Residency starts by July 1st.So,your result must be out by June 1 st the latest.That means, you must appear for the exam by May 1st the latest and April 15 th earliest.....
Hope you got the clear picture.Most people want to give it at the earliest possible and ensure that they are safe,since you may have to withdraw if you dont have a valid visa by July 1st.So, the earlier the better.
I plan to take my step 3 in middle of march and hope that it is enough.
all the best

Thanks for your help Jayakrishna,
I was planning to clear it before march 31st, which means I need to take exam around 15th of February. I just started to study for Step3, but you gave me a relief. I am going to take some more time I guess, and study more.
Good luck for your exam and in match also.

Hi,
I read your post regarding the timing of taking step3. I have some serious doubts that programs will allow you to come up with step3 results so late. I have heard that some programs refuse sponsoring H1 if you don't have the step3 results briefly after match day.
I am actually in the same situation as you are. I will take step3 on march 10+11.
I am just wondering how solid your source of information is. I would be happy if there are precedence cases.

medico

dear all, which state and which program will sponsor H1 visa if i got my ecfmg certificate and step 3 result on hand before my visa application, say feb 2006? i am aiming for the july 2006 residency. any guidance for me? i also heard that people usually do residency in new york and new jersey. and it is almost impossible to find residency position in else where. is it true? thanks for any information. smiling face

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

do I need 3 yrs H1 left to start residency on H1?
Non Profit H1 to Non Profit H1 transfer
h1 research to h1 clinical
show Related resources

Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Web Prep
Blueprints in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Underground Clinical Vignettes USMLE Step 1

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact