Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Mode of inheritance of Fragile X  

• 0/5

Author7 Posts

in Robbins and First Aid it states that the mode of inheritance is SXR(x-linked recessive) but in Kaplan biochem it says it's SXD(dominant) can anyone tell me which i should follow.....i'm leaning towards recessive but just want to confer.
thanks

IT'S X-LINKED - so, all males are affected, and female if she heterozygous show no physical signs other than early menopause, but they may have learning difficulties or frank retardation.

Id say x-linked recessive
***X-link dominant is rare, I only know of hypophosphatemia and Vit D dependent rickets.

actually 30-50%of female carriers who have the full mutation(>240 repeats) will have mental retardation,so even in robbins in one place it says SXD while in another SXR,in the text it says variable inheritance but x-linked.

In this case of ambiguity, I wouldnt worry if anything i could see the usmle just having multiple choice with:
autosomal dominant
"""""""" recessive
mitochondrial
x -linked
y- linked
multifactorial

Ill return with more info.

YES you r right many books says it SXD AND SOME S says it is SXR I WILL GO W/ SXD .DiaHuq

alport is also x-linked dominant... (plus vit d res and fragile x)... doubtful they would ask it on step one, but at least it helps remeber that these diseases are xlinked

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Mode of inheritance
x-linked recessive inheritance
Hypotonia question inheritance pattern
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact