Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

to BBB - to call or not to call?  

• 0/5

Author4 Posts

Dear BBB,
Thank you very much for helping us out through this maze. I was wondering if it would be appropriate for an applicant to contact programs - that is ask the program coordinator about the status of his/her application before (touchwood) he/she gets a refusal. I would not want my application to be turned down just because I called to check on its status- do help us with this dilemma Ms.BBB, Thanks a ton, Prabhu.

"auroville99" wrote:
Dear BBB,
Thank you very much for helping us out through this maze. I was wondering if it would be appropriate for an applicant to contact programs - that is ask the program coordinator about the status of his/her application before (touchwood) he/she gets a refusal. I would not want my application to be turned down just because I called to check on its status- do help us with this dilemma Ms.BBB, Thanks a ton, Prabhu.

It's not inappropriate, but really hard for a coordinator to answer all the calls. We receive calls asking for what are the criteria for applying to the program, calls asking for the status of their application, and the calls asking why their application was not selected (please believe me that I don't know why.....).

But I have never turned down an application because someone checked on their application. Quite the opposite, because a person has called and I liked something that I heard or the way that a person was friendly - I have changed many from not selected to asking the PD to look at an applicant again......

Good luck :wink:

It is very interesting to learn that BBB would recommend PD to re-evaluate a candidate. It is so nice of you. I am wondering if it is appropriate to call if I have already received a "NO" to ask for the reason. I guess it won't hurt as I had the worse already. Am I right?

BTW, how do you feel this year's application pool as compare to previous years for IM? Lot more applicants, about the same or less than past?

Very appreciate your comments.

"xw55" wrote:
It is very interesting to learn that BBB would recommend PD to re-evaluate a candidate. It is so nice of you. I am wondering if it is appropriate to call if I have already received a "NO" to ask for the reason. I guess it won't hurt as I had the worse already. Am I right?

BTW, how do you feel this year's application pool as compare to previous years for IM? Lot more applicants, about the same or less than past?

Very appreciate your comments.

You can call to ask, but the coordinator won't know the reason for the most part - unless it's obvious (low scores, years since graduation, bad hair day <:big_eeys:> ).

About the application pool? It's surprising, but with about 80% of the applications in (based on last year), the USMLE scores are through the roof! I can't believe the number of high applicants. :!:

Applicants are either learning better in medical school or studying harder.....Good work all!!

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Beeper call = home call...
did anyone get iv by phone call, not e-m
not easy not tought
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact