Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Consent issue  

• 0/5

Author7 Posts

17 y.o. girl comes to the ER, she has a wound on her left foot that requires some stitches. She is stable. She also tells the physician that she has no time to wait, she has to pick her child up from a day care center. She is not married and lives with her parents, who are currently at work. The physician should:

a. Get permission from the patient
b. Get two colleagues to sign the necessity of the procedure form and perform it.
c. Seek the court permission to do the procedure
d. Immediately proceed without consent
e. Get permission from patient's parents

d

Why do you think you don't need to obtain a consent in this case?

Because this is not urgent i would surely try to avoid any complications I could have and I will first ask permission from parents.

Yes to Anno Domini!!!
Patient under 18 - alway get permission from the parents, unless the problem is life-threatening or limb-threatening. Exception! Emancipated minors - older than 13, living alone and taking care of self. Being married, serving in the military makes them emancipated, but having a child or being pregnant does not. There is partial emancipation for certain issues only, but board probably will not ask about that, hopefully smiling face

yes ,
I feel asking the parents for the consent in such cases is right

To stitch a wound in LA , Do we require consent ? If yes take consent from patient .

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

parental consent
consent
HELP with consent please
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact