Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

ecfmg certificate is valid indefi  

• 0/5

Author8 Posts

I took my step1 in Jan,2005,and got ecfmg certified in 2008. according to ecfmg my ecfmg certificate is valid indefinitely, according to fsmb my step1 will expire if i do not take step3 by this month end. Its my mistake i should have thought about this scenario earlier but I was busy applying and going unmatched and disappointed.
i will really appreciate advise, I am very stressed out, i can't think of anything.
will this be a hurdle in matching, or can i take step3 in 3 weeks study

waiting to hear from soemone

I also have the same ? Anyone

drcolors wrote:
I took my step1 in Jan,2005,and got ecfmg certified in 2008. according to ecfmg my ecfmg certificate is valid indefinitely, according to fsmb my step1 will expire if i do not take step3 by this month end. Its my mistake i should have thought about this scenario earlier but I was busy applying and going unmatched and disappointed.
i will really appreciate advise, I am very stressed out, i can't think of anything.
will this be a hurdle in matching, or can i take step3 in 3 weeks study

Yes In many states you have a time limit to take Step 3, the clock starts after you pass step 1

its between 7 and 10 years most times

so if step one was 2005 then you have until 2012 to finish step 3

getting a residency this long out of school is hard thing to do as well

HI, I have questions, is it based since step 1 passed. or any other step pass?
because I took my cs first but hasn't take step 1 and ck yet.

ok. this is what I found from ecfmg website.

1. Satisfy the medical science examination requirement. USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) are the exams currently administered that satisfy this requirement. To meet the medical science examination requirement for ECFMG Certification, applicants must pass both Step 1 and Step 2 CK within a specified period of time.

they did mention about cs too. but they don't include cs in that time limit. so if I took the cs at 2008, does it means I have to finish all steps within 7 years to get ecfmg certified or do I have 7 years since passing step 1??

momwontgiveup wrote:
ok. this is what I found from ecfmg website.

1. Satisfy the medical science examination requirement. USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) are the exams currently administered that satisfy this requirement. To meet the medical science examination requirement for ECFMG Certification, applicants must pass both Step 1 and Step 2 CK within a specified period of time.

they did mention about cs too. but they don't include cs in that time limit. so if I took the cs at 2008, does it means I have to finish all steps within 7 years to get ecfmg certified or do I have 7 years since passing step 1??
I understand the confusion

Licensing in the USA is controlled by each state.

Step three is also controlled by each state, you will have to fulfill not only what ECFMG wants for a cert but also what an individual US state wants to approve you for step 3 test

the states themselves have limits that I talked about

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

Go to the above site the limits for step three are there for each state

Some states no limits

Others example New Jersey is  "7 years to complete USMLE; or COMLEX"

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

How long will ECFMG certificate be valid ??
ecfmg certificate is valid indef
ecfmg certified valid for how long?
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact