Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

ex/tran  

• 0/5

Author5 Posts

Can anyone concisely give the difference between exudate and transudate and give at least 5 examples of each?

transudate is basically the ultrafiltrate of blood(so its composition will be close to that of plasma)whereas exudate is usually rich in protein and is closely associated with infection.

The main differences:

1)Transudate is poor in protein,where as exudate is rich in protein
2)Specific gravity of transudate is lesser than 1.015 whereas exudate has a higher specific gravity usually more than 1.020
3)Transudate usually are transparent/light straw colour whereas exudate have a turbid/yellowish colour
4)exudates tend to have inflammatory cells too.
5)Since exudate are due to infective causes their glucose levels are lower than transudates.

Transudate causes:
Nephrotic symdrome,liver failure,heart failure,poor serum protein(malnutrition) and allergic reactions(though later is can turn to exudative with infection)

Exudative:infective causes like in meningitis,pericarditis,peritonitis,inflammation,pleuritis.

Kindly bring it to my notice if I made any mistakes and also add on whatever I may overlooked.

ok , nest question. why is glucose low in infective lesion??

b co bacteria utilize glucose

Apparently rheumatoid arthritis presents with low glucose levels in pleural effusion....anyone knows why??

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Carry Your Bike in The Cycle Tran
ex
history and Physical ex. vs just history
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact