Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

PDs and LORs writers  

• 0/5

Author11 Posts

Do Program Directors contact our LORs writers before considering an applicant for IV? What if they want to make sure of something written in the letter, like whether the applicant was allowed to contact the patients especially in places where hospital policy goes against that?

Yes, they do... Sometimes they ask for clarifications for what was said in the letter, but sometimes they ask for additional details...

Thanks Justice for ur reply.

I have an exprience in a big University Hospital where direct contact with patients was not allowed. but the attending allowed me sometimes to do that. The letter says " He interacted well and respectfully with patients". Now I don't know if it is OK to talk about direct patient contact on my CAF. I'm afraid that programs give a call to the hospital and then my exprience become questionable.

I would not be worried about it too much. As long as you did what the LOR writer says you did, and the LOR writer is willing to confirm it, you're in the clear.

Thanks doomestic. So that means PDs can really call the writers. I thought they don't have enough time for that especially with those huge numbers of applications and thousands of LORs needed to be clarified and confirmed if they want to.

95% of the time they don't. If your LOR is about miraculous feats you've achieved or something really catchy is mentioned, they might want to verify it. Also if your LOR has a big name on it, it is more likely to warrant a verification.

Some programs don't even look at the LORs until you come to the interview.

I also heard that they usually DO NOT contact your LoR writer....Maybe only if there are some big discrepancies, something is really not clear...but imagine if they have to contact all LoR writers...that would be to cumbersome!

They normally do not. But yes, I have seen for myself LOR Writers been contacted and asked about the candidates.

Thank you guys so much

egyusmler wrote:
The letter says " He interacted well and respectfully with patients". Now I don't know if it is OK to talk about direct patient contact on my CAF. I'm afraid that programs give a call to the hospital and then my exprience become questionable.

It is clearly said that you just interacted... I would suggest that you should not bring this up in your CAF as a big issue that is to help judge you as clinician... In contrast, this may cause false impression that you were directly involved in patient care, or at least cause impression that you wanted to say that...

OK

I'll ask the attending to write another letter and to mention that part of direct patient contact including physical examination and history taking.

but the same issue is still there. It is not the policy of the hospital to allow direct patient contact. will a PD really care to confirm this information? or it will be fine as long as what is mentioned in my CV is identical to what is written in the letter?!

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Gifts for LoRs writers
How do PDs and PCs look at the applicant
useless LORs vs useful LORs??? for bbb and others
show Related resources

Blueprints in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Human Anatomy and Physiology GC 1132
Kaplan Lecture Notes and Qbank

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact