Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

internship in US...  

• 0/5

Author5 Posts

i m medical student from india.. i m the final year of the medical school. i have a greencard.. and i want to do my internship in US... it is called internship in india but what is it exactly called in US.. i have been searching stuff online but nothing is clear...

what exactly is internship in US

how do u apply for it.. what are the documents required?

who buys your insurance since u would be dealing with patients.. my college doest have affiliation with any of the US hospital...

anyone has list of hospitals which alllow me to do my internship there?

i mean from the beggining to end...what is the exact procedure???? is there anyone who has actually done internship here in US?

There is no internship in the US that is similar to the ones offered in India or other "British medical system" countries. You see Medical graduates in the US go to residency directly after graduation.

In the US, all internships are usually part of a Residency program. If you join an internal medicine residency, the first year is your internship year. The closest thing to an internship year in the US is Preliminary year, and even this is specialty dependent, in other words you can only do Internal medicine Prelim, or Surgery Prelim. Usually prelims are taken by people that wish to go into advanced programs like Derma / Anesthesia in the case of Internal medicine, and they can be quite competitive. Surgery prelims are easier to get into, and you are paid just like the residents in the first year are.

So if you want to do internship, you need to do all the steps, apply for the match, and get matched into a residency program of your choice. On the bright side, your green card can be a big help in securing interviews come match time.

There is a sub-internship which I believe is in the third year of medical school in the USA.

After graduation, internship is your first year of residency.

In Mexico we have an internship year after we finish with the Clinical rotations, and this Internship is a whole year in the hospital. In which you pass two months in every specialty practices as Internal medicine, ObGyn, Pediat, Surgery and Family Medicine. All of this is done as an undergraduate.
Im also looking for a hospital in the US where I could go and make my Internship year. If someone knows something, please answer.

The easiest option for you since you have a green card and apparently your school does not have an agreement with a US Hospital would be this

www.nymc.edu/Academics/Scho...ternshipProgram/index.html

Notice you do have to have a passing score in the Step 1 to be accepted.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Pariuri Esports în România
Pariuri Esports în România
Internship in us
show Related resources

IMGs Guide to US Medicine and Residency

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact