Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

5 minutes screen  

• 0/5

Author11 Posts

wen 5 minutes screen appear what does that mean, is it that i killed the patient or that i made him disease free??????????

it means that either you have met the goals or u've finished your 15 minutes.

if it means so that i finished 15 minutes then some times it do not appear even after 25 minutes has passed , yyyyyyyy

it means that you attained major expectations in the case management. You are given 20+5 min to manage the patient/wrap him up... If the case ends in 7-9 min, then you are doing great...
I recall somebody posted that during his exam the patient deceased... There was a clear update message. I think that this means failure of CCS part of step 3 and exam in general...

The five minutes screen appears when the major decision making step of a case is ordered. This could mean an antibiotic, call for surgery etc. Now if you order this step without following the protocol, you will generally lose points. So, the appearance of five minutes screen ahead of time doesn't necessarily mean that the case went well.

So, if you screw up one case, you will fail the whole exam?

dokidok wrote:
So, if you screw up one case, you will fail the whole exam?

Well, imagine what happens in real life when you kill the patient...

MbbS wrote:
The five minutes screen appears when the major decision making step of a case is ordered. This could mean an antibiotic, call for surgery etc. Now if you order this step without following the protocol, you will generally lose points. So, the appearance of five minutes screen ahead of time doesn't necessarily mean that the case went well.

My understanding is that you can't always get some clues how you are doing on the exam, based on the pt condition or 5 minutes screen. As far as I know, sometimes the pt can deteriorate, but that doesn't mean that you did wrong orders. The pt is just not doing well.

dokidok wrote:
My understanding is that you can't always get some clues how you are doing on the exam, based on the pt condition or 5 minutes screen. As far as I know, sometimes the pt can deteriorate, but that doesn't mean that you did wrong orders. The pt is just not doing well.

That's probably not true... Pt should not deteriorate, you have to make him stable... But, some symptoms still can be present. In aorta dissection case pt still complains to pain even on continuous morphine. This should not trigger concerns unless he stopped breathing due to suppression of breath center.
I will pm you my e-mail ID shortly.

Help! I had this situation on my CCS.
I was done with over 2 hours of break time.
My CCS cases were over in about 10-15 minutes! In at least 2 cases, the patient deteriorated, and then the window came up.

Please help!

Thanks!

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Oasis updated 30 minutes ago
1 hour and 8 minutes to go. My heart see
Goljan audio--missing 5 minutes
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact