Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

cholangiocarcinoma  

• 0/5

Author1 post

kaplan p152

cholangiocarcinoma could be cured by Pancreaticoduodenectomy.

My question is: the tumor is in the common bile duct and the pancreatic duct appear normal. Why bother using Pancreaticoduodenectomy, which will resect pancreas, duodenum?

The following is what I found on the web, which makes more sense to me. They did not mention resection of pancreas at all.

Surgery and radiation therapy are the two most common treatments for cholangiocarcinoma.

Surgery

If the cancer is small and has not spread beyond the bile duct, your doctor may remove the whole bile duct and make a new duct by connecting the duct openings in the liver to the intestine. Lymph nodes also will be removed and examined under the microscope to see if they contain cancer. If the cancer has spread and cannot be removed, your doctor may perform surgery to relieve symptoms.

If the cancer is blocking the small intestine and bile builds up in the gallbladder, surgery may be required. During this operation, called a biliary bypass, your doctor will cut the gallbladder or bile duct and sew it to the small intestine.

After complete removal of the tumor, 30 percent to 40 percent of patients survive for at least five years, with the possibility of being completely cured. If the tumor cannot be completely removed, it generally is not possible to cure the patient. In these cases, if you are not a candidate for surgery and have an obstruction, percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography (PTC) and endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) can be used to place plastic or metal stents, which help to relieve obstructions.

www.ucsfhealth.org/adult/me...ns/cholang/treatments.html

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact