Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

NBME Step 3  

• 0/5

Author2 Posts

A 61-year-old woman comes to the office because of a 3-month history of urinary incontinence. You have been providing care for her and her husband since they moved to your area 2 years ago. She has a history of diabetes mellitus that was first diagnosed 2 years ago and has been very well managed by diet alone. She currently takes lorazepam at night for sleep and calcium and vitamin D supplements to prevent osteoporosis. She has declined hormone replacement therapy in the past because of a concern about breast cancer. She denies dysuria or problems with incontinence after sneezing or laughing, but she says, "When I try to pass urine, there usually isn't much, but I have to go again a few minutes later. And then, at other times, I just lose control and wet myself. I recently saw a television program on this and I think I have stress incontinence." Vital signs are: temperature 36.9°C (98.4°F), pulse 64/min, respirations 16/min and blood pressure 158/72 mm Hg. She weighs 93 kg (205 lb) and is 163 cm (5 ft 4 in) tall. Physical examination is normal except for moderate vaginal mucosal atrophy. Urinalysis done in the office shows no signs of infection.

Item 1 of 3

23. Which of the following factors in this patient's history or physical examination suggests a diagnosis other than stress incontinence as the cause for this patient's symptoms?

A) Absence of dysuria
B) Diabetes mellitus
C) Increased body mass index
D) Pattern of urination
E) Vaginal mucosal atrophy

Item 2 of 3

24. The most appropriate next step in management is to suggest which of the following?

A) Increased fluid consumption at night
B) Referral for bladder ultrasonography
C) Replacement of lorazepam with diphenhydramine at night for sleep
D) Scheduled voiding
E) Use of a pessary

d
d

d
?

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

NBME increase and other nbme stuff
NBME STEP-2 BY MISTAKE
NBME Self Assessment exams Step I
show Related resources

Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Web Prep
USMLEWorld Step 2 CS Course
USMLEWorld Step 1 Qbank

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact