Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Residency Interview Questions  

• 0/5

Author5 Posts

I am Posting this from another forum
Might Help us in preparation for Interviews

• What is it about psychiatry that interests you?
• What areas of biological psychiatry are of particular interest to you?
• What areas of psychological psychiatry are of particular interest to you?
• What role do you think psychiatrists should play in the overall health care system?
• What role do you think psychiatrists should play in trying to influence social issues?
• What are your thoughts about the role that psychologists and social workers should play in the care of those with mental illnesses?
• What thoughts do you have about requiring psychiatric patients to take their medication?
• Do you have a philosophy about suicide? What should the psychiatrist’s responsibility be for preventing suicide?
• What hobbies do you have?
• What books have you recently read?
• What do you think the role of pharmaceutical companies should be in the education of psychiatrists about medications?
• What are the reasons that you decided to apply to this residency program?
• What is important to you in life?
• What do you expect to be doing as a psychiatrist?
• What do you think the hardest thing about being a psychiatrist is?
• Have you heard the term “psychological mindedness?” What does that mean to you? Are you psychologically minded? How do you know?
• What did you study as an undergraduate? Did you take psychology courses? Did you take courses that have furthered your insight into the human condition?
• In what ways did you grow as an undergraduate student? In what ways did you grow (or not grow) as a medical student?
• Were there any experiences in medical school that you found particularly meaningful?
• What do you think the role of psychotherapy is in psychiatric practice today?
• Have you ever attended a meeting or a conference where food was provided by a drug company? What do you think about that?
• What has proven to be the most effective method for learning for you?
• What book is on your nightstand?
• What are your hobbies? Tell me more about them?
• Tell me a little bit about your family. Are they supportive of your decision to become a psychiatrist?

• What is it about psychiatry that interests you?

Psychiatry is a very challenging and yet very rewarding medical profession. Challenging is because most of time you are not handling a concrete disease entity like in IM. You deal with emotions, moods and abstract thoughts. Rewarding is because I love to listen to personal stories and become my patients' real friends, and eventually help them to deal with their psychiatric illness.

• What areas of biological psychiatry are of particular interest to you?

Psychiatric neuroscience and psychopharmacology. For the former, brain imaging is a hot topic, for the latter, nowadays there are many new and effective drugs adding to our treatment arsenal.

The remainder answers are in this blog:

http://psychiatryinterview.blogspot.com/

Thanks for suppose. I thought I would add another tip
1. Be on time. Whether you know it or not, the day has a schedule that many people rely on. If you are going to be late due for any reason, let somebody know. We have had applicants email a few days before their interviews to request a phone number for somebody in the program – just in case they get lost or have any issues. This shows us they are prepared and want to keep us informed if anything comes up.

2. Research the program. It’s a given that somebody is going to ask you why you chose to interview with their program. If you have done your research, you will have an informed answer. Even if you are interviewing at your “home” program, know the details about what has changed or is changing to make sure your interviewers know you were paying attention.

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Interview questions
Interview Questions
Interview Questions
show Related resources

Free Selection criteria of Residency Programs
Iserson's Getting into a Residency
The IMGs Guide for USMLE and Residency

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact