7 17%
Step I 86-90

stomping 2ck, drjpankaj, omz2302, vividxw, Miradautas Vras
5 12%
Step I 91-95

amit_k_m, vinnyboy, foxy, becky, ftdu, eturan, psrmsr
7 17%
Step I >95

cherryho, lcase1, deepa04, gmcervantes, rockstone, glospir, pseudomonas, bioguy, feelfeel, samnjau, CL, neutralphil, ahmadz, KHILADI420, dr_ayyad, askbal, redhat, rhmtascp, som101.ilya
19 46%
Step II 75-85

olgagodin, arifar, Santaqin
3 7%
Step II 86-90

amit_k_m, titly, vinnyboy, ftdu, drjpankaj
5 12%
Step II 91-95

cathypitt, CL, omz2302, Fanishal, Miradautas Vras
5 12%
Step II >95

cherryho, lcase1, deepa04, rockstone, foxy, stomping 2ck, glospir, becky, pseudomonas, bioguy, feelfeel, eturan, samnjau, neutralphil, ahmadz, KHILADI420, psrmsr, dr_ayyad, askbal, redhat, som101.ilya
21 51%
ECFMG Certified

amit_k_m, cherryho, olgagodin, lcase1, deepa04, arifar, titly, vinnyboy, Santaqin, rockstone, foxy, cathypitt, glospir, pseudomonas, bioguy, feelfeel, eturan, samnjau, CL, ahmadz, psrmsr, dr_ayyad, askbal, Miradautas Vras, som101.ilya
25 61%
US LORs

cherryho, olgagodin, lcase1, deepa04, vinnyboy, gmcervantes, Santaqin, rockstone, foxy, cathypitt, glospir, becky, pseudomonas, bioguy, feelfeel, eturan, samnjau, omz2302, neutralphil, KHILADI420, psrmsr, dr_ayyad, redhat, rhmtascp, Fanishal, Miradautas Vras, som101.ilya
27 66%
Research/ Publications

amit_k_m, cherryho, lcase1, deepa04, vinnyboy, gmcervantes, Santaqin, rockstone, foxy, cathypitt, glospir, bioguy, ftdu, feelfeel, drjpankaj, KHILADI420, dr_ayyad, redhat, Fanishal
19 46%
< 25 programs applied

cherryho, titly, pseudomonas, eturan
4 10%
26-35 programs applied

olgagodin, lcase1, drjpankaj, neutralphil
4 10%
36-45 programs applied

amit_k_m, deepa04, vinnyboy, Santaqin, CL
5 12%
46-55 programs applied

arifar, rockstone, glospir, ahmadz, rhmtascp
5 12%
56-65 programs applied

som101.ilya
1 2%
>65 programs applied

foxy, cathypitt, stomping 2ck, becky, bioguy, dr_ayyad, askbal, redhat, Fanishal, Miradautas Vras
10 24%
Graduation year +2

titly, gmcervantes, stomping 2ck, psrmsr, askbal, rhmtascp
6 15%
Graduation year 2-4

foxy, glospir, pseudomonas, ahmadz, dr_ayyad, Miradautas Vras
6 15%
Graduation year 4-6

cherryho, nohaa, arifar, vinnyboy, samnjau
5 12%
Graduation year 6-8

becky, vividxw
2 5%
Graduation year 8-10

deepa04, kankodu, kankodu, cathypitt, bioguy
5 12%
Graduation year >10

olgagodin, lcase1, Santaqin, rockstone, ftdu, feelfeel, eturan, CL, drjpankaj, redhat, Fanishal, som101.ilya
12 29%
Need Visa

titly, azirikani, azirikani, azirikani, azirikani, azirikani, azirikani, azirikani, azirikani, vinnyboy, gmcervantes, foxy, cathypitt, glospir, pseudomonas, bioguy, feelfeel, ahmadz, dr_ayyad, Miradautas Vras
20 49%
GC/ US citizen

olgagodin, lcase1, deepa04, nohaa, arifar, Santaqin, rockstone, stomping 2ck, becky, eturan, CL, omz2302, neutralphil, psrmsr, askbal, redhat, rhmtascp, Fanishal, som101.ilya
19 46%
STEP III

eturan, psrmsr, dr_ayyad, Miradautas Vras
4 10%
41 votes

Author125 Posts

Thanks cherryho

all the best cherryho

Thanks dr_puma. Good luck with Step 1.

I canceled one of my interviews.

why so cherry?confused

Canceled ???!!! Why?

Well. I happened to get two interviews @ Houston in early December. I have family there and plan to go there for thanksgiving. So I cancel one @ another city to save money and time on the trip. I also want to leave some time slots in case I get another IV from Houston (then I'll be 3 out of 3 @ Houston!! if UTMB Galveston doesn't count sticking out tongue ).

UTSW wants to take a picture of candidates during the visit to be used in the composite if I match. Sounds strange. raised eyebrow

Cherry nod Congrats......good luck

PD of UT Houston emailed me back saying I am still under consideration. So "I am still under consideration". Not a rejection. sticking out tongue

Hi, Guys

Cons for all who have the interviews.

I am new here. My credentials: PhD. in US, 12y after graduation, step1(93), CK(89), planning take CS and step3, several paper, working as a postdoc with a big name in neuropathology in a top University.I am planning for the 2010 residency. It seems to that the pathology is getting hotter then before, i am really worry about my chance.

My questions

1. What is the chance for the match with my step1, step2 score, I know it is not so great.

2. I have been involved in the autopsy of brain,dissecting of different region of brain, processing of the sample, reading the slide, and writing the report. But all the case are neurodegeneration disease. Do these works help me in pathology match? Should I do another observation to get family with other system diseases.

3.What other things should I do now to improve my chance to get matched next year?

Thanks for the all comments.

My honest opinions:

You will get interviews. The question is where. It's really hard to say based on the credentials you provided. Where you receive your PhD and the quality of your research matter (I respect anonymousity so please don't show the details here). If you do have some stellar background, a couple of big names might call you. My advice is to apply broadly (> 50 programs). Avoid the top programs which didn't take IMGs in recent years (MGH, Duke, UCSF, etc.) and any program which has a < = 5 graduation year cutoff. JHU has a 225 cutoff for USMLE scores. You might want to skip that as well.

My thesis research focused on neurodegeration as well. It's a cool field but doesn't have a huge crowd. Honestly speaking, your selling point is your research, not the techniques you can do. When you are being evaluated by the committee or PDs, it will all come down to your research and your publication.

Observerships don't matter as much as clinical electives (in which you participate full-time). If you can get some experience, cool. If not, no need to sweat. They don't really care.

Hope my 2 cents help.

Hey the review of my paper came back. It looks promising!! I am about to cry, ha!

This manuscript was rejected more times than the rejections I received for the Match. sticking out tongue So God is fair!

The journal is solid (impact factor ~ 7.5), but nothing fancy (I do wish I had a Sciencec/Nature paper under my belt). My boss split my thesis research into two papers so hopefully I'll have another one soon.

I am so sick of this peer review process. Academia is dark. disapproval

I am sad to announce that I got no IV this week! sticking out tongue My IV luck is probably out!

Cherryho,

Thanks, Your advices encourages me a lot. As you said, the neuropath is cool but not hot. After the training, neurophth follow has few choices, most of them will go to the academic, and they get part of pay from the research. A assistant professor in pathology is almost get fired because of research funding. Fortunately, we found a position in a big pharma. company.

Cons for your interviews and your papers. I also just have a paper published, but the works was done 2 years ago when I am Ph.D students. Sciences some time make me crazy.

GL ftdu. BTW I might know who your boss is (or I should say "bosses"). sticking out tongue

There's is probably only one neurodegeneration lab in this country that's considered well-known. It's a small field.

One advice I have for the up-and-comers is "be realistic and selective"! Please excuse my forthright comments but it's not wise to overestimate yourself in this match process. I've seen people with subpar stats or incomplete applications trying to apply to MGH (even for competitive specialties). What were they thinking? Match is not lottery.

Do some homework and make sure you fullfill the requirements of each program. Check the resident profiles and see if they ever take a person with your stats in recent years. If not, forget about the programs unless you want to give away the application fee.

Cherryho,

I worked at the Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases Research at UPENN. Do you apply for the program at UPENN?

That's what I thought. I heard of your bosses. They are well-known. We actually got patient samples from them. I didn't apply to U Penn because my husband wouldn't want to relocate to Philly.

what did you mean that I can apply for the program which has a cut-off year <5, since I graduated 12 years ago. Do you think I still have chances in some programs even if their official cutoff year is >5? If it is true, that will be great!

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Int for a candiate already int?
Cat. Int Med vs Primary care Int.
Surgery Megathread 2008 - 2009
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact