Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Applying to prelim  

• 0/5

Author5 Posts

I hope someone is able to clarify this for me. I have looked all over the place for answers and I just end up more confused.

If I apply to a prelim IM position and my goal is to get in to anesthsiology but do not want to move to a different city for the PGY2 position. Would I apply to both prelim and PGY2 at the same hospital? or do I wait until next year to apply for the pgy2 position? The reason I would not be willing to move to another city is because I am doing a couples match with my wife and would not want to be to far apart.

Edited by stomping 2ck on Sep 04, 2008 - 10:19 AM

FYI- Ok it seems I have this cleared up and I imagine everyone else was just as confused considering the number of replies I received. It turns out that for anesthesiology programs only offering pgy2 positions you must look for you own prelim positions this year as well as apply to the pgy2. This means 2 interviews and the possibility of getting one but not the other!!

Hope this helps and good luck to everyone.

Yes u r right.But there r some program which offer 4 year residency spots (categorical) so if u match in one of these no need to go through match process again.
This is what I understand.
Good luck.

Some people may end up to different cities for preliminary year and categorical year. Some lucky ones may join a 4 year program (first year, prelim, last three, catagorical), or the same hospital who offer prelim just for those matched in their catagoricals. Anyone, three different situations here, each would be very competitive to get into. GL.

But can we apply to any preliminary (catagorical) position or must it be a prel. for that speciality?

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Applying to Prelim now?!!
Applying to prelim too
PS if applying to both cat&prelim 1 sub
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact