Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

NB F2 S3 Q12 Appropiate response  

• 0/5

Author14 Posts

A 45-year-old woman with rheumatoid arthritis calls the physician on a Saturday morning because she cannot turn the bathroom faucet due to pain and weakness in her hands and wrists. She is tearful and says, "My husband has already left for work and my hands are too weak to turn the water on. It hurts too much and now I can't even take a bath." Which of the following is the most appropriate response?

A) "Come to the office right away and I will give you a cortisone shot."

B) "I know this must be difficult. Perhaps a plumber may be able to help you."

C) "I sympathize with you. Unfortunately, it looks like your only option is to wait until your husband comes home."

D) "Many people with rheumatoid arthritis have difficulty turning faucets. Perhaps you would be interested in joining a support group."

E) "People with rheumatoid arthritis often feel that their independence has been lost because of their pain. Perhaps using a tool with a long handle would help."

E??? :roll:

Comments
a-just plain BAD medicine!
b-shows sympathy and empathy,but doesnt address the arthritis smiling face
c-its not helpful and doesnt show compassion(she wants to bath NOW)
d-doesnt address the IMMediate problem

**e-shows compasion and empathy= + the physician is using his cerebral cortex. I go with e**

smiling face

E

e

godd answer muzammil

godd answer muzammilraised eyebrow

E

Curious about it too .... I noticed same, some people say it's A.

But it's Saturday, so MD is not in office obviously. And if she get's the shot, how many hours it takes to make it work, by that time her husband will be back. RA is chronic condition,if he does it once,she can call again, will he do it again ?

Seems like the option E has more sense in it.

the ans is for sure A , AS I GOT THE ANS OF FORUM 2 AND ACCORDING TO IT ITS A.

AND AS a physican your first obligation is to treat the pt so it does not matters if it is a sat

how can u expect her to come to your office right away when her husband is gone, means she has no one to help her, if she cant open a facet how can she Drive? A doesn't make sense.
E, a tool with a long handle would help. how do you know what type of facet she has. although there are tools available to help people with arthritis. but this does seems to address the problem somehow.
this ? is nutts........

E 100% surenodnodnodnodgrin

how do you know abdallah ? E doesnt handle the immediate problem which I think is her depressed mood

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

NB F2 S3 Q12 Appropiate response
NB F2 S3 Genetic Heterogeneity
NB F2 S3- Pandemic factors
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact