Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

How Many Qs Correct To Get 99?  

• 0/5

Author61 Posts

Hi anyone whoever readin this.. ı am takin my exam by the 1st week of may and wonderin the no s of Qs ı need to answer correctly to be able to get 99 ?? any ideas r welcome...thnx...

i wanan know one more thing that how ecfmg score in real exam, like in 50 ques block if we cocrrect 40 is this mean 80 for score or it mean somethiing else on 2 digit score ...i was wonering pplz who get 99 on real exam do they score 49 ques right per 50 ques.......like excatly they score.......in short i wanan know how much atleast we should correct in every block to pass is it like 25 peer block 30 per block or 35 per block???

Nobody knows for sure, since the score is actually a comparison betwen all the applicants taking the test.

You have to answer 60-65% of the questions right to pass. If you make 70-75% of questions, you'll get 95 or more. Only an aproximated idea, OK?

Good luck!

thanx.. smiling face what u wrote does confirm what i heard..answerin nearly 240 of 350 is enough ( i just heard that ) to get 99..thanks again for your reply..

good luck 2 u 2 ..

hi...as arlete said no one knows how the scoring for the exams is done....

many people think two digit is a "percentile", but it is not.....

all we know is that two digit is derived from the 3 digit score.....and how do we get the three digit score? god knows sticking out tongue.....

i think >35/50 gives u an above 90 for sure...

NBMEs are the best score predictors ...one of my friends took NBME-2 which gave him a 81 (two digit score)2 days before the exam.....and guess what!!! his score on the test was 81 exactlyyyy.....shaking head

I don't know why there are people on here assuming how the test is scored. I think the best source for clearing up misconceptions on how the exam is scored is the Kaplan introduction by Dr. Daugherty. I don't know where people get the numbers from, such as 75% gets you a 95 and above and 60-65% will get you a pass or where they get the idea from that you are tested against other test takers. This is the reason why many IMGs have ideas such as........If you take the exam with US students, it's harder..............if you take the exam from Jan.-Mar., it's easier..........If you take it in the US, it's easier.

DRchromatin wrote:
I don't know why there are people on here assuming how the test is scored. I think the best source for clearing up misconceptions on how the exam is scored is the Kaplan introduction by Dr. Daugherty. I don't know where people get the numbers from, such as 75% gets you a 95 and above and 60-65% will get you a pass or where they get the idea from that you are tested against other test takers. This is the reason why many IMGs have ideas such as........If you take the exam with US students, it's harder..............if you take the exam from Jan.-Mar., it's easier..........If you take it in the US, it's easier.

Well what you have said its another rumor, it may be a bit hard believe but out of the IMGs scoring above 95% and above 50%-75% are out side US. So there is not statistical proof to it. Unless you have accumulated some data. This is another Misconception that US students have it easy. WEll yeah they do cos they ARE TAUGHT TO GIVE USMLE FOR 2YRS. Their every exm is based on USMLE type of questions. So by the end of 2 yrs they are ready enuf to score above 95%. Now if anyone of us was taught for 2 yrs on how to attempt the paper then we will score good.

So if we all started believeing in such misconceptions no matter how good we are will be affected by it.

the rumours i hear are different

most med students here (in india) think USMLE is "very easy"..... i thought the same till i started studying for it....now i m facing the exam....its tough....NOTHING IS EASY . ANYTHING EASY, ISNT WORTH THE EFFORT..

New_n_lost, my dear respected friend and fellow forum member........I think you completely misunderstood what I was saying. What I was trying to say was that due to these percentages that people make up without any statistical proof, we end up with IMGs who have misconceptions such as "If you take the exam with US students, it's easier", "If you take it between Jan.-March, it's easier", and "If you take it in the US, it's easier". I hope you now understand the message I was trying to get across. Maybe you misunderstood me because of the way I wrote the reply. Basically, what I want to say is that IMGs already have a tough time as it is and then we get people who don't go to the sources to get their information and instead rely on rumors and eventually spread them even further doing more harm than good.

i guess thats all we know about scoring system... thank u all who shared...

new_n_lost wrote:

Well what you have said its another rumor, it may be a bit hard believe but out of the IMGs scoring above 95% and above 50%-75% are out side US. So there is not statistical proof to it. Unless you have accumulated some data. This is another Misconception that US students have it easy. WEll yeah they do cos they ARE TAUGHT TO GIVE USMLE FOR 2YRS. Their every exm is based on USMLE type of questions. So by the end of 2 yrs they are ready enuf to score above 95%. Now if anyone of us was taught for 2 yrs on how to attempt the paper then we will score good.

So if we all started believeing in such misconceptions no matter how good we are will be affected by it.

actually, this is not true for all U.S. med schools.

Many schools in the states follow a PBL type program. Many others do it by organs system, i.e. they will learn only cardiovascular system for the first 6 months, then kidneys and GIT for the next 6 moths, then musculoskleteal and then neuro...so, no way they are being prepared for the USMLE as they go along.

The reason U.S. med school students tend to do well is because:

1) they have the basic knowledge

2) they usually spend 2-3 months of summer preparing for USMLE

Thats enough for them to pass - and remember, if an US med school grad fails the USMLE on first step, its not THAT big of a deal compared to an IMG failing. For them USMLE is just a 'flag' to get across.

To the original poster; I dont know what % relates to what score on USMLE, but I can tell you that the correlation between Kaplan diagnostic score and the score on USMLE is 0.88. This is straight from the chart that was posted at the admin office in my school.

We are required to take a Kaplan diagnostic, and we MUST get a 45% to ensure that we will pass the usmle, as, a 45% on a Kaplan mock/diagnostis correlates with you passing the USMLE.

DRchromatin wrote:
New_n_lost, my dear respected friend and fellow forum member........I think you completely misunderstood what I was saying. What I was trying to say was that due to these percentages that people make up without any statistical proof, we end up with IMGs who have misconceptions such as "If you take the exam with US students, it's easier", "If you take it between Jan.-March, it's easier", and "If you take it in the US, it's easier". I hope you now understand the message I was trying to get across. Maybe you misunderstood me because of the way I wrote the reply. Basically, what I want to say is that IMGs already have a tough time as it is and then we get people who don't go to the sources to get their information and instead rely on rumors and eventually spread them even further doing more harm than good.

Yes my friend i was also saying the same.

i just heard from a friend who is a 99er that at least 42-43 Qs must be answered correctly to get 99...wanted u all to know..it s not easy as we wnt it to be..

Nobody knows for sure, ghost... Aim high, study hard, do your best! I think it all comes down to it!

Good luck! wink

any further ideas??

So..let me see if I got this straight....

Everyone here is saying that
1) IMG's taking the exam with US students at peak time shouldn't be worried because it doesn't affect your individual score?

2) The scoring - no one knows how it's done - but you are NOT compared to the rest of the test takers for that day? your score is YOUR attempted effort alone and that's it right?

3) There is not an 'easier' state to take the step 1 in ? (chicago compared to virginia for example?)

These are the rumours I have been hearing ..please reply back to tell me if they are all false?? I would appreciate any thoughts!

All the typed statements are true. One need not be worried abt US students, forget abt scoring .. do ur best on all q's . . its standardized exam... its not easy in some states compared to other regions.

Ghostsurgeon..(liked your name. But please don't apply to surgery)
100% Totally absolutely completely agreed with kalyann. All the things you've heard till now are rumors. The exam and scoring remain the same anytime anywhere and no one knows how it is scores except those who are scoring it.

A couple more 'facts' here. Well, these aint really facts from an 'authentic' source but this is what some of the AMGs that I talked to told me. Most american students study for only 4-8wks for step 1 and they usually take it right after 2nd yr. Secondly, most of them dont score too high. A score in the 90s is really very good for an AMG.. 99s are not that common.

One more fact..nod
That doesn't mean that we are superior than AMGs (not even for USMLEs )
I have heard of so many AMGs scoring above 250 in both the steps. Even some have scored >260in both. also saw >260 &>270 combos, EVEN >260&280!!!!!!shockedshockedshockednod and that too with 4-6wks of preparation as hitesh said.Moreover passing rate is far higher for AMGs than IMGs and you can see in the NRMPchartingoutcomes that AMGs have far more gross number and almost equal (if not more) percentage of 99ers as do IMGs.

(perhaps the apparent inflation of 99ers that we see here on forums is a biased finding. May be IMGs with lower scores are not as likely to share their scores as those with higher scores. It does not represents IMGs as a whole)

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

How Many Correct Ans/Block give 99
Khách hàng nên chọn mua bán xe ô tô chính hãng hay xe nhập sẽ có lợi hơn
Mua bán xe ô tô cũ và kinh nghiệm cần biết khi mua xe đã qua sử dụng
show Related resources

Blog on How to Get Psych Residency

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact