Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

HRT Counselling for hot flashes  

• 0/5

Author4 Posts

I am reading the case form USMLWorld about the Hot Flashes. And it's say to counsel women for HRT. Here is what I put together to say:

The hot flashes you are having are due to decrease production of hormones in your body. I suggest you to consider using HRT in order to decrease the symptoms, it will also help you with dryness and itching you are having and make your bones stronger. However there are some adverse effects to consider, as it will increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, thromboemboly, breast and ovarian cancer. If you currently have problems with liver, gall stones, heart disease, blood clotting problems, history of breast cancer, or anyone in your family had breast cancer, or clotting problems - I would recommend considering other treatment options we currently have (estrogen patches, cream or raloxifene). We need to do some blood tests to check your liver function and your blood clotting. Also we'll need to check your heart. Then let's meet and discuss the test results and the treatment options.

Sounds pretty scary to me... I am afraid the SP will start crying right away :-)

hot flashes,vaginal dryness,itching- u have is due to your menopause. estrogen hormone production is low)
so we have choices like HRT ,estrogen patches, cream or raloxifene to help you in this .
before we consider this we need to do some specific tests for Liver function test, heart check up and blood work.
so we will meet again to dicuss your reports results and treatment plan...is that okay?

before u start counselling ,,
HISTORY;
in PAST HISTORY ;ASk Abt liver ds , any previous blood clot ,heart ds.
in FAMILY HISTORY; take breast cancer history
screening hisotry ;hav u ever been screened for an abonormal growth in ur bowel , genital tract or breast.
once u r done with history n exam ,come to the counselling part ,
now u can address ;
keeping in consideration ur history n examination,there is a good posibility that this is because of a condition called menopause in which female hormone levels go down ,i can start hormone relapacemnt therapy ,to boost those hormones.as there r some risk of breast ca ,we can do regular imaging studies of breast called mamograms ,so that we can pick up anyproblem right on time.also add ca supplements in ur diet to strengthen ur bones. STILL I NEED TO RUN FEW TESTS TO CHECK CERTAIN HORMONE LEVELS TO EXCLUDE OTHER CAUSES RELATED TO UR SYMPTOMS .
ALSO ADD THE SCREEING TESTS ,IF NEEDED .

In my opinion,It is not appropriate 2 say dat u r gonnu STart patient on HRT 4 HER HOT FLASHES,WE R NOT supposed 2 DISCUSS TREATMENT .UW says dat u only mention about HRT.

okay i wud counsel/do the closure in a case of memopause dis way,

Ms XYZee,U have told me dat u r having these hot flashes since ...days N ALSO U TOLD ME DAT U HAVE SOME DIFFICULTY URINATION/VAGINAL DRYNESS/DEPRESSED/IRRITABLE MOOD./LMP WAS.....months ago.THE MOST LIKELY DIAGNOSIS IN UR CASE IS Menopause,we WILL do some tests to exclude other causes like thyroid,we will do blood tests,pelvic exam/TSH/CLOTTING TESTS /UA etc.. HRT can be an option for ur hotflashes,there r creams 4 vaginal dryness too which we will discuss when the test results r out.I wud also like 2 speak with ur husband regarding ur diagnosis if u want me 2.U need 2 take a good diet n calcium too coz ur bones cud get weak,n do exercise regularly...any questions?

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

HRT
HRT What u need to know
elderly woman with HRT, see the qs
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact