Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

what do you think?  

• 0/5

Author8 Posts

psychiatry in UConn or Tufts-NEMC?
which program is better and why?
I really appreciate your inputs.

I haven't interviewed in neither, but here are my two cents
IOL in UConn has a bigger name in research, they have pretty interesting stuff going on there, the downside of it is the location : Hartford. I think they are quite similar programs. think about the interview and the residents you ve met, which program you enjoyed meeting its staff and residents the most?, would you like to live in small Hartford or big busy Boston? i think these are the points you have to think about, more than the academics because both program are equally good.

Hey Madmad,

Uconn and IOL are seperate programs now. They used to be one. IOL is in Hartford and now affliated with Hartford Hospital instead. And research affliation of IOL is with Olin Center. Whereas UConn is in Farmington. I dont know about UConn's research aspect though.

I dont know UConn but location-wise I'd go for Tufts. You can attend to all big names' seminars while you are in Boston. You always have an opportunity to make connections with Harvard and their faculty.

Thanks a lot madmad and newyg. Yes IOL is in Hartford and affiliated with Yale and UConn. UConn is pretty strong in research as it's number 31 in NIH ranking and Yale is number 3 among 181 psychiatry programs in the USA. Although IOL and Tufts-NEMC are not even in the list!
Regarding enjoying staff and faculty, I enjoyed meeting the ones in UConn a little bit, not a big deal in this regard though.
Boston is the most expensive city in the US and goes parallel to NYC. So all residents live in neigbor towns and have financial problems!
Farmington is one hour to NYC, some graduates do their fellows in Yale.

oh by the way the reason that IOL is not in the list, because it is affiliated by UConn and only university based programs are in NIH ranking. So IOL must be strong in research still. But not Tufts for sure. I doubt if we really can enjoy living in big cities while we will have such a busy life during residency?! Or it's better to save money at the end of each month and live at peace and then just be near to big cities to go there every once in a while rather than paying a fortune every single month but no time to use the facilities in big cities...
Anyway I still have a big time to decide which one as my number one choice??

a o.k sorry for the confusion and thanks for the clarification , if it was for me i would rather live near Boston than Farmington but it is a matter of personal preferences in the end
Good luck to all of you guys!!

thanks a lot madmad. Did you accept a prematch or you go to match?

I just had one PD who said that they may consider the possibilities of offering me a prematch, it is a quite good program, but it wasn't my top choice, so i replied with a polite no. He made it clear though, that they will keep on being interested in me even if i refuse the offer.
so going for the match, 7 weeks to go!!

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Help please how do you think i'll do
where do you think you will match??
think think
show Related resources

You pay only if you Pass
how to do all things from usmle to match

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact