Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Kamsi -Ethics Questions 3 & 4  

• 0/5

Author6 Posts

The following is from Kamsi's Ethics Q's...

3. A 16-year old boy was diagnosed with osteosarcoma of the right thigh. The surgeon recommended amputation. The boy refuses amputation. He is doing very well otherwise. He is aware that death is certain without surgery. (Important)
Next step in management: amputation should NOT be preformed.
Adolescent patients or adults who are competent in making decisions have an absolute right to determine what shall be done with their own bodies. However, most pediatric patients are not competent to make their own decisions. Please remember, children (15 years or older) are usually able to give a genuinely informed consent. Therefore physicians may respond to their request, except in a case of irreversible sterilization.

4. A 17-year old girl is a Jehovah's Witness. She refuses a lifesaving blood transfusion. She is aware of the consequences. She spoke to the social worker. (Important)
Next step in management: blood transfusion should NOT be given because she is competent to make the decision.

Legal age of consent is 18 (not 15)
-the only exceptions to this are:
-emancipated minors (older than 13 and taking care of self, living alone, marriage, or in the military)
*you don't need parental consent for:
Drug treatment, prenatal care, STDs and Birth control.

But usually children are considered legally incompetant...
So for the child refusing a life saving blood transfusion, I believe the physician has to act in the patient's best interest. -and same for the amputation case... amputate, and don't allow to die from infection...
any other thoughts?

Edited by DrVirgo on Nov 04, 2007 - 6:11 PM

nodnodnod

Whats Kamsi's Ethics??
is it reliable??
I found your 2 queastions in another thread in this forum which contained 100-120 Qs
but many answers are confusing !!!!

Ok I got it Kamsi is the member who put the Qsgringrin
but where r they from

Edited by cool doctor on Nov 13, 2007 - 1:37 PM

gg

I don't think so. Although there is an ongoing debate about children's consent to treatment, unless the two adolescents in the cases presented are emancipated minors, they cannot refuse life saving treatment.

Edited by claudia_i on Sep 19, 2009 - 2:30 PM

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Ethics questions
Ethics questions
Medical Ethics Quote Questions
show Related resources

Kaplan Medical USMLE Medical Ethics
Review Questions for Human Physiology
Family Medicine (National Medical Series Questions and Answers for Independent Study)

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact