Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Anybody agrees with me?  
 rel= USMLE Study Partner

• 40/5

Author63 Posts

Amro wrote:
So many of us r graduates & working doctors from all over the world who have finished medical school long time ago & need to remember everything.

Good point. A good way to approach path may be to take the time to read Robbins Pathology text, the full or the smaller version of the text, then review with Goljan. You have to dedicate lots of time this way, but in the end, will fill in your gaps in path.

I dont get it Y r u blaming Goljan for ur inability to fill the gaps. I think the Name of the book Suffices to say tht its a RAPID REVIEW OF PATHOLOGY not in depth, for that u have Robbins which many older grads do use to get up-to-date with their concepts.

If u really r having issues with concepts or need to go more in depth then i think u need to go for Robbins instead of Kaplan cos that also is not gonna help u. For in depth coverage go to the source.

Excuse me,

Why is it if some member has a slightly different apinion or point of view than the common ones flowing arournd he gets all these [-] ( zero leader members found his post useful )!?

Please so-called "leader members" dont be bias.

new_n_lost wrote:
I dont get it Y r u blaming Goljan for ur inability to fill the gaps. I think the Name of the book Suffices to say tht its a RAPID REVIEW OF PATHOLOGY not in depth, for that u have Robbins which many older grads do use to get up-to-date with their concepts.

If u really r having issues with concepts or need to go more in depth then i think u need to go for Robbins instead of Kaplan cos that also is not gonna help u. For in depth coverage go to the source.

As I said before, I am not against Goljan, he teaches the way he thinks the best for the exam & sooooooooooooooooooooo many find it very valuable to listen to his audios & read his notes. I also said I don't have his rapid review book whose name has nothing to do with its huge size so I can't judge it. I am not blaming Goljan for anything & I have no gaps to fill, I am only saying what I think about him. To me, it was a great disappointment, I don't feel he teaches something I can study, I see him like Mr. Bounderbi & Mr. Gradegrind in "Hard Times" who try to fill students' heads with facts devoid of spirit. Anyway, I will try not to criticise him anymore as long as u & others take it as a personal offense.

praying4a99 wrote:
Excuse me,

Why is it if some member has a slightly different apinion or point of view than the common ones flowing arournd he gets all these [-] ( zero leader members found his post useful )!?

who cares? i really don't understandraised eyebrow how will that matter to anyone?

I ddnt get you bioguy ... Who cares about what ?

Amro wrote:

As I said before, I am not against Goljan, he teaches the way he thinks the best for the exam & sooooooooooooooooooooo many find it very valuable to listen to his audios & read his notes. I also said I don't have his rapid review book whose name has nothing to do with its huge size so I can't judge it. I am not blaming Goljan for anything & I have no gaps to fill, I am only saying what I think about him. To me, it was a great disappointment, I don't feel he teaches something I can study, I see him like Mr. Bounderbi & Mr. Gradegrind in "Hard Times" who try to fill students' heads with facts devoid of spirit. Anyway, I will try not to criticise him anymore as long as u & others take it as a personal offense.

No Offense taken here, but i thought u were saying tht he doesnt go indepth. i thought the case was that he wasnt going systematically thru every topic. Ofcourse there is no offense taken here u have a right to Say anything u like as long as it is in the boundaries of Decency.

praying4a99 wrote:
Excuse me,

It's ok if nobody of the leader members find my post useful, this I don't care for at all.

Edited by Amro on 09/03/07 - 8:56 AM

I have one more thing to say. So many people here r still studying pathology only from BRS which they find very useful. BRS also is still the number 1 rated book in FA. While studying pathology from Kaplan, I had BRS beside & found that they r the same, Kaplan pathology is a photocopy of BRS pathology. Despite that, people keep fluttering BRS & underestimating kaplan all the time which I can't understand. And for those who don't know, Goljan was one of the Kaplan team members in 1999.

Edited by Amro on 09/03/07 - 10:26 AM

Many, albeit a minority, are put off by Goljan, for other reasons, like his jokes of snot, boogers and farting shocked Even I was, at first listen. But I got past that, because his work is compiled from years of step 1 exams' questions. He's got the psychology of a step 1 question writer's mind down pat. He knows all the tricks and traps, and presents them to us so we won't fall for them. For that alone, I could overlook the gross humor.

i haven't come across those jokes, edie!!

which year am i listening to? did i get the clean version??

if so, thank goodness!wink

Oh sweetie, trust me, they are all there, and then some!

Yup there are only those 37 ones out there in the mean time.

1- Cell injury1

2- Cell injury2

3- Inflammation1

4- Inflammtation2

5- F&H1

6- F&H2

7- F&H3

8- CV3

9- CV4

10- Respiratory1

11- Respiratory2

12- Respiratory3

13- GI1

14- GI2

15- Hepa-pancre1

16- Hepa-pancre2

17- Renal1

18- Renal2

19- GYN1

20- GYN2

21- Endocrine

22- Musculoskeletal

23- Skin

24- CNS and special s.

25- Nutrition1

26- Nutrition2-neoplasia1

27- Neoplasia2

28- Neoplasia3-hemato.1

29- Hemato.2

30- Hemato.3

31- Hemato.4

32- Hemato.5

33- Hemato.6

34- Hemato.7

35- Hemato.8

36- CV1

37- CV2

Maybe next i should list them according to the Jokes so its easier for you paheli grin grin

So its easier to check if you got those gross jokes or not sticking out tongue

walaikum salaam amro

i think u're very much entitled to ure opinion n' though i'm a huge goljan fan, i can completely see what shortcomings u see in him...

in fact i myself was very frustrated w/ his notes...not very organized or clear...but maybe i have the old version, who knows?

i love goljan coz he reminds me of high school....all my teachers were exactly like him, they taught u how to think at a higher level n' my foundation,....well I owe my high school teachers for that...not my med school!! I regret goin to the med college i went to..they were the type to make u sit there n' memorize...

propanalol wrote:
walaikum salaam amro

i think u're very much entitled to ure opinion n' though i'm a huge goljan fan, i can completely see what shortcomings u see in him...

in fact i myself was very frustrated w/ his notes...not very organized or clear...but maybe i have the old version, who knows?

i love goljan coz he reminds me of high school....all my teachers were exactly like him, they taught u how to think at a higher level n' my foundation,....well I owe my high school teachers for that...not my med school!! I regret goin to the med college i went to..they were the type to make u sit there n' memorize...

yes may be I am very much entitled to my opinion not only in pathology but in everything. I also hated Kaplan micro book although everybody praises it, I tried to digest it but I haven't had the enzymes.

I like the way Goljan uses for reasoning & explaining mechanisms, if only it was in the context of something not like a bird flying alone in the sky or an isolated island in the ocean where nobody lives, u got me?

you know something, one of the reasons I decided to study for the USMLE is the way it is organized, I mean basic sciences, then clinical sciences, then clinical skills. I had been to an awful medical school in my country which wasted many years of my life for nothing worthy. I wanted to restudy everything from the beginning in an organized way. I wanted to build my clinical knowledge & skills on basic sciences, that's the way we all should learn. I am not studyng only for the exam, I am studying for the joy of study & learning in the first place. So when Goljan comes & tries to grasp all strings of the exam in one hand at one point of time, I find myself distracted & unable to get along with him.

Edited by Amro on 09/03/07 - 12:10 PM

praying4a99 wrote:
I ddnt get you bioguy ... Who cares about what ?

forget it praying4a99, not a big deal. i was wondering who cares about the votes that forum leaders give to posts...

I do, especially when i dont have time to go through the whole thread.

oh! didn't know its purpose! my bad!grin

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact