Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Weird One  

• 0/5

Author11 Posts

A particular association determines membership on the basis of members IQ scores. Only those persons who have documented IQ scores at least 2 standard deviations above the mean on the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) are eligible for admission. Of a group of 200 people randomly selected from the population at large, how many would be eligible for membership to this society?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

raised eyebrow

E

edie wrote:
E

nodnod
assuming Normal distribution=
[got first aid help for this one]
1 SD=68%
2SD=95%
3SD=99.7%
so, 95%out of 200 would mean 10[5 lower end and another 5 at the higher end]people scoring above and below 2SD=>they are asking for how many above 2SD would be eligible.

shaking headshaking head

OMG!! Never thought this way..thanks

dont worry I think we come under 95%,got wrong then learnt the right waynod

po wrote:
dont worry I think we come under 95%,got wrong then learnt the right waynod

nod...no worries i will be also happy with that

Yep, FA's got it, also check out biostats section of KLN Behavioral Science and know the distribution curve and SD correlations COLD smiling face

edie wrote:
E

nodnod

The correct answer is E.

95% of a normally distributed population will fall between plus or minus 1.96 standard deviations from the mean. Since the population is normally distributed with regard to IQ, this means that approximately 2.5% of the population will have IQ scores 2 standard deviations or more above the mean, and 2.5% of the population will have IQ scores 2 standard deviations or more below the mean. 2.5% of 200 people is 5 people

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Weird One
weird question
a nice but weird...Q
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact