Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

100 CCS rules for step 3  

• 0/5

Tags:    
Author29 Posts

because glucagon is an antidote for beta blocker...
tht patient needs epinephrine to increase his BP n HR, and if he is on a beta-blocker it will be difficult.
So first stop the beta-blocker's action and then give epinephrine..

I hope I am correctsad

thanks robin, very useful info

yeah drnaik i think u r right, glucagon is an antidote to beta blockers,
and the mechanism by which it does this is increasing second messengers, epinephrine and glucagon have similar second messenger pathways, so glucagon kind of potentiates action of epinephrine, don't remember exactly which molecules are involved

grin

Excellent info Robin smiling face

My favorite:

If you intubate a patient you also have to order "mechanical ventilation" (otherwise the patient will just sit there with a tube in his mouth!)

I am not sure some of these are accurate -- advise every patient on discharge to have a high protein diet? I think simply a low fat diet to everyone on discharge is better.

I like your thought process though.

Thank you for such a good work.

To drems

Hello,
There is some reason for glucagon administration prior to epinephrine in Px on b-blockers:

Glucagon has been used with some success as a cardiac stimulant for the management of cardiac manifestations (e.g., bradycardia, hypotension, myocardial depression) associated with severe ß-adrenergic blocking agent overdosage or calcium-channel blocking agent overdosage. Glucagon has successfully reversed such manifestations in patients unresponsive to other drugs (e.g., atropine, epinephrine, dopamine, dobutamine), and should be administered early in the management of severe ß-blocker overdosage. Experience in calcium-channel blocker overdosage is more limited, but glucagon (combined with inamrinone in at least one case) has been similarly effective in some patients. AHFS Drug Information 2004

grin well done

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

step 2 second day rules of the game
Rules Changed for step 3?pls help
new rules for cs
show Related resources

USMLEWorld Step 2 CS Course
Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Web Prep
USMLEWorld Step 1 Qbank

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact