Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

ARTHUS ASHE, 33 years old  

• 0/5

Author9 Posts

ARTHUS ASHE, 33 years old tennis player, comes to hospital for annual checkup. he denies sick contacts and never used drugs. he admits to homosexuality . he has diarrhoea for 2 months and dysphagia for a month. the scraping from his esophagus grew well on sabouraud's agar.his mantoux is 8 mm positive. what do you do regarding INH prophylaxis
a. start
b.dont
c.wait for 6 months
d.start him on treatment(4 drugs)

answer is a

i dont think it is a the answer should be d ,
before that i would like to know the chest xray findings

ONCE THE PPD IS positive, if patient is symptomatic, investigate further. the tests include CBC, CHEST X-RAY, AND SPTUM FOR AFB STAIN AND THEN CULTURE. as they turn out positive, treat them appropriately.
short course chemotherapy now a days. 4 drugs for 2 months and then 2 drugs for 4 to 7 months depending on age. for children it is (short course chemotherapy) 6 months and for adults 9 months.

my dear frnd vyseerx the treatment for all age group is the same, duration of therapy not depand on age its depand on type of TB you got.
except for TBM, tuberculoma the therapy is 6 months.(recomended) and for TBM and tuberculoma is 12 months.

well for miliary tb mixed recomendation of 6-9 months

take care

Wouldn't a first step be an HIV test?

If it's positive, I agree with D.

The question regards to INH prophylaxis. So the answe is B. Do not start. You do not have any clear evidence of HIV or being asymptomatic.

Certainly HIV tests, chest X-ray, sputum analysis must be obtained but now those are not asked.

YOUR QUESTIONS ARE SURELY INCOMPLETE.. YOU NEED TO MAKE THINGS CLEAR HERE.. AND THERE ARE NO CHOICES TO INVESTIGATE FURTHER! IF HE REALLY HAS TB THEN YOU GOTTA TREAT FOR SURE.. BUT HOW CAN YOU JUMP ON PROPHYLAXIS FOR TB WITHOUT ACTUALLY KNOWING HIS DISEASE STATUS?
MAYBE HIV STATUS AS +VE CAN BE MADE FROM HIS DYSPHAGIA AND CANDIDA GROWTH FROM ESOPHAGITIS WHICH IS ONE OF AIDS DEFINING CONDITIONS BUT STILL AN HIV TESTING IS SURELY NEEDED BEFORE JUMPING TO ANY CONCLUSIONS.. YOUR QUESTIONS ARE GOOD AND DEFINITLY CLEAR SOME VERY IMPORTANT POINTS BUT SOME OF THEM ARE NOT NICELY EXPLAINED.
ANYWAY.. GOOD JOB
*PIECE*

First satisfy the who definition of aids and then start accordingly.But in this Q A i.e start prophylaxis is the ans

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

john david,33 years old
sunil jawalkar,33 years old
33 years old andrewleipus
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact