Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Biochem Q!  

• 0/5

Author11 Posts

What is the net energy yield in high eneregy po4 bonds from each molecule of lauric acid?(12 carbon molecule)

A.93
B.95
C.97
D.99
E.101

Please explain

Consider oxidation of FA w/ even # of C atoms

I remember this way ...

if its an 16 C atom FA u`ll get (16/2 -1) i.e. (8-1)=7 FADH2 =7X2 ATP =14 ATP ; (16/2-1) =7 NADH =7X3=21 ATP and 16/2 Acetyl CoA = 8 Acetyl CoA =8X12= 96 ATPS

Total = 14+21+96 = 131 ATPS

For ur Q , it will be (12/2-1)X2 + (12/2-1)X3 + (12/2) X 12 =5X2 + 5X3 + 6X12 = 25+72 = 97 ATPS

ATP = net energy yield in high eneregy po4 bonds

hope it helps

For exam purpose take half of the # of C atom and multiply with 12 and add (half of the # of C atom -1)X 5 ... that should give u the result.

Hello

I need your advice.Does this type of calculation really high yield for the exam?I am seriously studying but I usually don't give attention to this type of question.What is the experience of seniors?

Thank you

Sany

It not a hard question, she clearly explained how to do it. Memorize what clozapine said and you will be fine. Maybe 10 mins of your time .

Hello Ankylostoma

Thank you.You are indirectly telling me that such things should not be overlooked!!

Sany

Thanks a lot clozapine...That was a nice way to rememeber.

I think we have to substract 2 atp's for the activation of fatty acid ..since the answer given was 95..

Clozapine,Can you tell is there a similar way for other cycles which are important for the exam.It would be very useful.Thanks again

I`m glad I could help Sprint, but I`m a lil confused about the answer .... for activation of FA by FA-CoA synthase we need only 1 ATP, as far as I remember confused I guess we are counting the ATP required to convert OAA to Acetyl CoA after it`s been transported out of mitochon to cyosol .... rolling eyes 95, agreed

Well, the only other pathway with ATP issues sticking out tongue I guess is aerobic and anerobic glycolysis ... for anerobic its only 2 substrate level net ATP production ... (NADH used up by LDH) ... it`s the 2nd option of body for glycolysis, so yields only 2 ATPS ( thats my way smiling face )

And for aerobic its 12 from TCA cycle once again so from 1 mol. of Glucose (12x2) =24 from TCA cycle plus net 2 substrate level ATP, 2 cytosolic NADH (2X2 or 2X3) depending on the shuttle and another 2 NADH produced by pyruvate DH .... so

in total 24+ 2 + (3X2) + (2 X 3 or 2) = 36 to 38 ATPs

For FA synthesis just reverse the oxidation .... U`ll need 'half the number of carbon atom Acetyl coA' ; half the number of carbon atom minus 1 ATPs and since we don use FADH2`s here, so, half the number of carbon atom minus 1 time 2 NADH .... in other words replace the FADH2s by NADHs

e.g. for making palmitate (16c) we`ll need

8 Acetyl CoA+ 7 ATP + 7 NADH + 7 NADH

for rest of the pathways, just trying to memorize all the regulatory enz so that I can name them off the top of my head

GL

Its a kaplan q bank question, I'm glad you brought it up.. I totally forgot about the activation by fattyacyl coa synthase. Anyway, i found the answer and it says that activation requirs 2 atp. Doesnt really explain.

Edited by Ancylostoma on Feb 05, 2007 - 11:39 PM

By the way, I found it in lippincotts illustrated reviews, it does take 2 atp for activation, even though it doesnt mention it in kaplan. I just made a note next to it in my book.

Answer is 95.
it has 5 breaks in b-oxidation generating 5 FADH2 and 5NADH2. A total of 5x5=25 ATP in B-Oxidation.
each acetyl co a enters the krebs cycle and generates 12 ATP so a total of 72 ATP.
2 ATP are used in activation of the fatty acid.
so a net of 25+72-2=95

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Kaplan Biochem vs Goljan Biochem book
Online biochem questions please
Biochem Lab Research
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact