Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Prematch in Neurology?  

• 0/5

Tags:    
Author13 Posts

Hi, Guys,
I am a new member. I just realized that Neurology has prematch. Does it happen a lot?

I have 7 Interviews in Neurology and don't have any prelim. I have 2 IM interviews. It is really suffering, no answers.

Hope you all best!

Hey Lew19

Welcome to the forum!!!

I don't know how frequently it happens but some neurology programs do offer prematch. I accepted one earlier this week...
I also had very few (only 3; mostly odd places that usually do not take IMGs at all or rarely take IMGs)prelim interviews, however;I had a few categorical (neuro+prelim) interviews and the prematch that I signed came from a program that offered both...

Do you have any categorical neuro interviews??? If I were you I would ask for a prematch at those istituition or I would ask during the other interviews whether they can help you find a prelim spot if you match with them.

I know it is really tough, but you never know when your luck might change!! Having 9 interviews isn't that bad at all!!!
Be proactive and ask about prematch and potential prelim options during the interview!!!

During one of my advanced neuro postion interviews (that did not offer prelim) I was asked about doing prelim within the same institution... I told them that I would love to but I wasn't even offered an interview... then, to my biggest surprise, the PD told me to email him later and promised that he would talk to the IM PD to interview me.
It actually never happened... ...mostly because 1 week later I withdrew from the Match so I never asked the PD, but I just wanted to tell you that nothing is impossible!!! Don't give up!!!!

I hope this helps. Good luck with the match and keep us posted!!

Mufurc

Edited by mufurc on Jan 06, 2007 - 2:30 PM

hey mufurc, can i seek your advice? i was wondering if i could ask the program about prematch? cause i am scared also that they might just reject the idea and might not rank me anymore.. but right now, this program has been giving me good signs. the program director emailed me and told me that i would be a good addition to their team.. i was wondering if i could go ahead and ask? what do you think the risk are?

Hi, mufurc,

Congratulations!
Do you have a list for the categorical (neuro+prelim) program? If yes, do you mind to share the information with us?
Thanks in advance!

Yigying:
I am sorry I don't have a list of the cat. neuro programs. I only applied to a very restricted geographical region (Northeast)... However; when you apply through ERAS you'll see which program offers training PGY2-4 and which one does for all 4 years (PGY1-4). I am afraid even if you check all 121 neuro training programs in the country you will find quite a few, but it would be interesting to see.... My guess would be less than 20%....

Gulliermo:
How are you? Haven't heard from you for a long time... I hope you are well. Unfortunately I don't really know how to approach that issue, but I would probably try to talk to the PC first. Ask her if she knew anything about prematch and what you should do if you are interested in one... I am sure that it is not unheard-of in neurology... During my interview trail (which turned out to be quite short, so my experience is very limited) I heard from residents that they got prematch offers from other places too... So even if it isn't done frequently, I think it isn't unprecedented either.
Ask the PC for advice, because even if she says they never did it before, she will mention your interest in one to the PD and that might just gets the ball rolling.... You never know.

Good Luck!!!

Mufurc

thanx for the post mufurc!

i have an interview next week and feeling a little anxious.hopefully we'll all get where we want to!

thanks, mufurc.. ill probably do that first. the PC was always promptly replied to my emails anyways. owell not that good though, i got 3 interviews and program isnt integrated so i am currently left with 2 programs. The program i interviwed with though has given me postive signs since interview and through email thats why im thinking of asking them about prematch. i have been in constant communication with the chairman, pd and a faculty.

and congrats again to your prematch

Hi guys! Some neuro programs do offer a prematch.
I was offered one and from another program I feeled as they were like please ask us for one.
Here is the trick you have to ask if they offer prematch and they if they do and if they are interested in offering a prematch thay will do.
Neuro positions are,compared to IM very restricted... where in IM they would usually take 40 intern in neuro usually it is about 5... so if someone gets a prematch your chances begin to diminish...

As for a prelim position. I interviewed at 7 places, 4 of them offer a categorical and 3 don't.at those places, during the interview ,I told the PD that I would tank higher the programs that are will offer me a prelim bcz it is more convenient for me. the 2 of them contacted for a prelim interview and the 3rd arranged a prelim interview at the same day.
Hope this helps!
Good luck guys!

Hi, mufurc,

would it be too late to ask prematch in Neurology? hey had 3 position but 2 left now, I think they gave out 1 prematch already. I am concerned if the number will change during the following weeks. Is that possible that the left 2 has been committed to the other 2 people? I have been felt shaky for the past 2 weeks, but more paranoid now.

What should i ask if I want to get prematch?
What dose this mean: we really like you and the residents really like you as well, we will seriously consider you when rank'? I know they will rank me, but if i can be ranked the top 2, most likely I will be out.

But my concern is that if i contact them directly or indirectly, showed my interest, and ask prematch, will they feel presure? Will i be risky?

Too many concerns. After the programs make their lists, is it possible they will give us hints to let us know how high we will be ranked?

Hi lew 19, got your email. we're not talking about the same hospitals, but yes its very familiar. my program has originally 4 positions now down to 2. i know that they were giving prematches cause i met someone in the program. and i did ask the program coordinator about prematch but she didnt reply to my emails. well i do suggest that you email the program coordinator first. its really hard to determine how much they like you based on their emails. i was getting "i would be happy to have you in as part of our team" several times from the pd but the chairman has always been non committal by saying i will tell the committee etc etc.... the fact the pd told me she liked me i didnt get a prematch.. so its hard to tell. just be persistent and appropriate in reminding the program how you like them

Hi,

To all. I will be applying for the next years match. Grad 2000 worked for 2 yrs in a hospital in home country and came here for my PhD in neurosciences. Will be completed in 2008. Willl have one first author and three second author pubs by then. I also have presented 12 abtracts in neuroscience meetings. But Iam an old grad with no experience in USA. Scores mid nineties in both 1/2 , step 3= 81 all first attempts. Its difficult for me to do a observership coz of my schedule. Since u guys have a first hand experience of the whole process what do thinh r my chances of getting in. Also need visa but dont mind J1.
Thanks in advance

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Pariuri Esports în România
Pariuri Esports în România
Neurology Match
show Related resources

Clinical Neurology
Neurology: PreTest Self-Assessment and Review
Blueprints in Neurology

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact