Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

surgery preliminary  

• 0/5

Author6 Posts

i heard many spots went unfilled last year ,is it true???how easy is it to get inside IM after surgery prelims , why were so many spots went unfilled last year ,any drawback in surgery prelims???what visa do they sponsor being it for 1 year only ,do they give H1B???

i met truckloads of folks doin surg prelim who are applyin for im. u get good usce and its a good thing. only prob is u might have to settle for a j1 and u will have the nerve racking match again. but somethin is better than nothin. i wud defin consider scrambling for it in case things get screwed up..

apurva, its once again u helping me out !!!thanks buddyyyyyyyyy

Guys Surgery is hard enough for IMGs without competition from people who desire internal medicine at the end . I know one guy who applied for prelim surgery and ob/gyn He got 7 out 40 in gen most of them prelim and got 10 out of 16 in ob/gyn

"Guys Surgery is hard enough for IMGs without competition from people who desire internal medicine at the end ."

mohelgamal,i didnt get u , u mean to say we can pursue IM better after prelim surgery??

Sorry for the late responce.

I was mainly kidding. but I wrote that because I applied to 80 prelim position and only got 4 interviews that at least 3 of them I know are not that hopeful for me. and I am a citizen with great scores. so I don't think that Prelim surgery is that Easy to get. atleast not for me. Surgery in general is one of the most difficult for Imgs. one of the programs I interviewed at had all there residents american. when I checked with all other specialities I found that both IM AND Psychiatry in the same hospital are >80% IMGs.

Frankly speaking, any USCE is Good even in different specialities. but why surgery Ob/gyn and many other specialties are much easier. plus your best shot is for transitional year. it usually 6+ month in IM, plus Emergancy med, and FM. so it will be a way better experience than taking surgery.

Plus many people took suregry then shifted to other specialities because they couldn't take the hard work. and so many PDs (but not all) may look at you as quitter.in one program the PD was actually saying that ( he said that many people apply to surgery and then start whining about work hours and stress and end up quiting surgery and go something easier )

But if your question is if your chances with one year of surgery is better than nothing?, definitely it is. but is it better than a transtional year or a research year? no those are better.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Preliminary surgery or Preliminary
1 year Preliminary in Surgery????
Non-designated preliminary and Surgery
show Related resources

NMS Surgery
Kaplan Lecture Notes: Surgery
General Surgery (Board Review Series)

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact