Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

for those who failed  
Get Adobe Flash player

• 100/5

Tags: , ,    
Author70 Posts

for those who failed what went wrong? what were your mistakes? was it expected or not?

who knows smiling face

Hi

Today I got my step 2 cs result and I fail that exam in CIS .
I don't know what went wrong .I did everything like drepping ,
counselling transition sentence and all .But I don't know what went wrong.

pl. Help me . I think i will never pass this exam

sorry to hear that buddy. But me too failed in the CIS part today. I think now that my closing was a bit less or may be the counseling part was less. But I'm also surprised to get the result. I was thinking of sending it for rechecking. But I do not know the outcome of the rechecking.

are you guys FMG's? I am an FMG and I feel like I could have done better on CS, my results will not come until Oct. 10th... soon!!

I forgot to counsel in 3 or 4 rooms for smoking. (I did do it for the rest... and I always asked if they had any Qs and told them a DDX in every room except one.

The only room I really screwed up was my first room. I forgot to do the most important exam. the patient was difficult.

other than that in the write up I missed some important tests and such. But I think the note was otherwise good.

Do you think I will pass based on this information?

Ifailed second time sadconfused this time on SEP!! can not believe this....last time was ok....

Guys ..the only thing that went wrong was that you did not smile enough...

Anybody who has passed step1/2 surely knows their medicine.

And there is nothing specific about the cases..all are the same..knock,, greet,, wash hands,, drape,, pamhugsfoss... counsel safe sex..no smoking etc. nobody in the exam gives a damn about whether u know how to do a CVS or a Neuro exam..

So what is the difference between pass and fail.....your smilegrin

You have to be a better actor than the SPs,,

I got the high high performance on 2 sections, the CIS was borderline..u figure the rest!!

hotbhaga
wonderful piece of advise
i cant agree more
the smile and politeness may be the key guys

USMLE Step 2 CS is a biased examination because the SP actually has to score you in this column.

CIS is Communication and interpersonal skills is based on the assessment by the SP.

When you leave the room, the SP opens the computer and score whatever he wants.

So IMG has a disadvantage and SP knows if you are an American or IMG.

Other parts are not biased.

The Computer asks the SP about how to score on CIS, communication skills and how you feels about the IMG.

everything is screwed up in CIS if you have an accent, not smiling, not sitting down and hurry !!!!

zmk05 wrote:
I got the high high performance on 2 sections, the CIS was borderline..u figure the rest!!

CIS is based on the score provided by the SP and is not scored by the doctors at USMLE.

There is a standard screen on the computer inside the room when you leave.

They ask the SP how you relate to him or her. How you make SP to feel at ease

I got my result today and failed. I failed on data gathering and did pretty well on the rest. Does anyone have tips on this area; I had actually thought that I did ok on this part. I need to start studying again but I'm not sure how to approach this. Thank you so much and good luck to everyone planning to take it.
Ag

DocAg

I am sorry about your exam.

I know someone who failed this part and he told me that he failed because he never followed PAM HUG FOSS in all the encounters.

Because he sometimes reached to the Dx and he felt he didnt need to assk the rest of the Questions but he took the exam again and I am sure he would pass this time.

Good luck

DocAg, sorry to hear about your result. I have taken the liberty to outline my approach regarding the data gathering.

Data gathering includes the Physical Exam, History taking and the Patient note.

A) History taking is divided into 2 parts:

1) Specific questions regarding your DD list
2) General questions such as PAM HUGS FOSS

PAM HUGS FOSS is an easy way of remembering key questions that most patients should be asked about.

Past hx
Allergies
Medications
Hospitalizations
Urinary symptoms
Gastro symptoms
Sleep / Surgeries
Family hx
OBGYN hx
Social hx
Sexual hx

B) Physical exam:

This includes basic systems and specific ones, for example a patient with a chest illness will have a more specific chest exam, a patient with trauma to the head will require neuro exam and less emphasis on abdominal exam.

I did 4 routine exams during my encounters, they took 2 min to complete:

CVS: Auscultate
Chest: Auscultate
Abd: Inspect, Auscultate, Palpate
Head: Pupil reactivity and mouth inspection using an opthalmoscope

C) Patient note

Your history should include key points such as those listen in FA practice cases.
You should start by analyzing the main complaint first then moving to related symptoms and incident and then by the less relevant information.
Your Differentials should be listed by priority.

It would be useful if you posted what you did during your SP encounters, forum members might be able to guide you furthermore.

Good luck

layla wrote:
DocAg

I am sorry about your exam.

I know someone who failed this part and he told me that he failed because he never followed PAM HUG FOSS in all the encounters.

Because he sometimes reached to the Dx and he felt he didnt need to assk the rest of the Questions but he took the exam again and I am sure he would pass this time.

Good luck

hahahaha, I think you are talking about me? smiling face

That is completely true. Second time I did all the opposite and boila! I passed. Got the score 2 days ago.

Check the thread on http://www.prep4usmle.com/forum/thread/59542/

That is going to be helpful as much as the post above from mildanemia.

Werther, mildanemia and layla, Thank you so much for your response guys. I was down when I found out the result two days ago and also needed to get this out of my chest, but I'm bouncing back up...and you guys cheered me up a LOT!!!. I know for a fact that my hand writing sucked (it must have been hard to understand) so I’ll type next time. As for DG, now that you tell me all this, I had a similar mnemonic but rushed through the questions neglecting details regarding the chief complaint always thinking “don’t miss all those points from the rest of the history and don’t run out of time”, that must have been key in my performance. In fact, I ended up finishing some patients with a few minutes to spare (that didn’t help in my case). In the physical exam I did 2 things routinely (CVS and Chest auscultation) and focused exam where I rushed too. After thinking about it I see there are several things I need to get better at.
This the first time I post here and it a tremendous help.
Thank you so much guys again!!

DocAg wrote:
Werther, mildanemia and layla, Thank you so much for your response guys. I was down when I found out the result two days ago and also needed to get this out of my chest, but I'm bouncing back up...and you guys cheered me up a LOT!!!. I know for a fact that my hand writing sucked (it must have been hard to understand) so I’ll type next time. As for DG, now that you tell me all this, I had a similar mnemonic but rushed through the questions neglecting details regarding the chief complaint always thinking “don’t miss all those points from the rest of the history and don’t run out of time”, that must have been key in my performance. In fact, I ended up finishing some patients with a few minutes to spare (that didn’t help in my case). In the physical exam I did 2 things routinely (CVS and Chest auscultation) and focused exam where I rushed too. After thinking about it I see there are several things I need to get better at.
This is the first time I post here and it's a tremendous help.
Thank you so much guys again!!

Hi

I did not fail. I did really bad in the exam but I still passed. I think one need to do few things in the exam. Don't think to much about the diagnosis, u r not a physician here, u r giving the exam to be a physician here. just do few things, knock the door before entering in the room, introduce your self, try to call the pt. with his/her name, if u don't know the pronounciation then just ask, drape the pt, do the history within 7 minutes, Don't try to remember what to ask differently for different pt, just check digital doc's trik and tips of CSA test, wash hand before doing the physical, during hand wash look at the pt and smile, do the physical as inspection, palpation, purcussion, auscultation step by step. Again u are giving your exam so do few physical exam that u feel r most important. Most people do not get the time to counselling. So, don't worry if u don't get time. Just say what do u think and because u r not sure at that point u want to give some invastigations and name one or two and say u will get back to him when u will get the report and then say nice to meet him/her and leave the room. Most important thing is here is smile all the time. Many people are very nervous about the smoking counselling. If pt. says he does not want to quit than just say u will love to talk about how to quit smoking if he wants to talk about that in his next visit and if he says he wants to quit then just say u will talk about that more at the end of the visit. Believe me it does not matter if u counsil 1 min or 10 min, u will get just 1 point.

In my exam, I smiled from beganning to end. Always looked at the pt. Told sorry thousands of time, responsed to pt whenever he asked a questions, thats all. I did not know the diagnosis of atlesat two cases, in one case after 3/4 minutes I forgot what was the problem, one pt. was kind of angray with me (may be he was told to do that) but I was scared and did not know what to answer but I tried to talk to him with smiling. I did not complete two cases but when I heard the end ring I said, "Thank u very much, It was nice meeting u" please don't forget to say that .

I took mine in houston. i passed the cis (although it was borderline), and I did really well on the sep, but I just went ice cold with the ICE (sorry about the pun...)...

they rated my data gathering as okay (*xxxxxx, in the lower performance section), but for my patient note, they gave me this: *x

now granted, I don't have the best handwriting in the world, but should I type my notes from now on? any other tips on how to improve the ICE? thanks, and good luck to those who have to take it, or are waiting for results --

sad can i still start my residency even though i failed the 2cs i passed step 1 and 2. had a great interview, and think i will get the position. i was not prepared at all for the test thought i could walk in and blow right through it. WRONG" i failed the ice passed the rest. any advice .

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

FAILED FAILED STEP2 CK
what if failed cs twice
I think I failed
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact