Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

ethics  

• 0/5

Author7 Posts

john,42 years old man was brought in for not being his usual-self. he was fired from his job a couple of months ago. since then he had difficulty in sleeping, and decreased appetite. he attended weekend church meetings, and once in a while outings with his daughter. he was diagnosed as schizophrenia 5 years ago. and was on treatment intermittently. primary care physician informed him about the treatment choices which included ECT. patient non-chalantly told, doc,i dont want any treatment.......let me out of here.........what do you do?
a.give him anti-psychotics
b.give him anti-anxiety drugs
c.give him mood stabilisers
d.give him ECT
e.honour his wish
f.refuse to be his doctor

honor his wish

till they dont mention that pt is non-competent, u dont assume otherwise so generally anyone who is competent can refuse tx n u have to go by their wishes.
although i would like to ask him y he doesnt want the tx, what are his inhibitons, some open ended discussion question but that wasnt listed.

YES ITS E

HONOR HIS WISH

YES IT SHOULD BE E

yes E,

is ECT use to tx schizophrenia?

POINT here is A COMPETENT PATIENT CAN REFUSE TREATMENT. period. that you want to save his children, and that you want to work forhis greater good, that you want to keep up your ehical standard of your profession, all this does not work. in real life , court gives little value to any one these things. A COMPETENT patient can refuse treatment, even if results in death. accept his decision, honor his wish.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

OSCE Ethics Stations and Ethics
Ethics Q&A
ethics 41 to 50
show Related resources

Kaplan Medical USMLE Medical Ethics
USMLE Step 3 Board Certification Review: Pediatrics and Medical Ethics

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact