Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

nbme  

• 0/5

Author14 Posts

A 25-year-old woman at 32 weeks' gestation begins taking a drug to delay the onset of preterm labor. After the first dose, she notices tremulousness in her hands. Which of the following types of receptors is most likely to be involved in this effect?

A ) á1-Adrenergic

B ) â2-Adrenergic

C ) Dopaminergic (D1)

D ) Muscarinic (M1)

E ) NMDA

Beta 2 adrenergic, but I did not see the answer.

Did you type correctly Nadia?

Is it C???

as cant see beta receptorssad

I will go w/ C - not sure though.

which is the drug to delay the onset of preterm labor?

I would go with C,
The key is to word "tremulousness" after the drug was administered. DOn't forget that D1 is facilitates movement. Hope this helps

I think b) is suppose to be beta 2 adrenergic. Drugs like ritodrine, isoxsuprine, etc have this effect and are commonly used. I doubt that B2 agonist have any significant effect on D receptors to cause tremor.

B for sure as beta 2 receptors are present on uterus stimulation of which causes uterine relaxation and r used therapeutically in pre term labour

RITRODINE is the beta 2 agonist which is used for the control of premature labour but the cardiovascular effectz r hazardous fpr mther and fetus as well...........but the option doesnt contain beta 2 receptor so dnt knw abt the otherz

Im pretty sure its a typo!

I don't understand...

Tremor is a relatively common adverse effect of the beta-2-selective receptor agonists. Tolerance generally develops to this effect; it is not clear whether tolerance reflects desensitization of the beta-2 receptors of skeletal muscle or adaptation within the CNS. This adverse effect can be minimized by starting oral therapy with a low dose of drug and progressively increasing the dose as tolerance to the tremor develops. Feelings of restlessness, apprehension, and anxiety may limit therapy with these drugs, particularly oral or parenteral administration.

smiling face

Done!

B

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

NBME increase and other nbme stuff
track your exam results on NBME
NBME practice exam
show Related resources

NBME Self-Assessment Program
NBME Self-Assessment Program

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact