Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

EKG/Genetic/STD +ve, pt came for counselling  

• 0/5

Author2 Posts

Lets say pt came to your office with some EKG or lipids reading or ppd which was done at work now how to counsel.

How to counsel for genetic disease? do we need to draw charts?

If someone came with STD positive, like trichomonas, gono, chald, Only way to get them via partner. Now who is cheating. If pt says he/she is faithful. Do you as a doc what would say. If not you then must be partner.

I am just thinking of these as a possibility as not to look stupid in exam. I am esp. worried by genitic and EKGs as I am not so good in there.

Any suggestions

as for EKG , PPD or Lipid profile i would think that any of those bieng positive, we will just councel them accordingly. Like for abnormal lipid profile, tell them about the risks and then councel them on diet and exercise. For ppd ... ask about travel or exposure history and then councel about the complications of TB and the treatment options avaiable.

As for the genetic diseases.... that is a tricky one. I would personaly not want to draw any charts since something that comes to us naturally because of last five years of studying this stuff can easily confuse a lay man. May be just verbally we tell them the prcentage risk of the disease and councel what can be the treatment options IN CASE the child gets the disease .

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

how to deal genetic, STD, psychiatric cases?
A pt treated for std with doxy and cef.After
counselling a father whose son is HIV +ve
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact