Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

ethics7-12  
Get Adobe Flash player

• 0/5

Author14 Posts

6. A patient with Alzheimer disease for the past many years is brought to you. You diagnose him to be case of cancer prostate. His wife is her primary caregiver. She does not want him to know. You will not tell him because:

A. These old people mostly don't want to know about such illnesses

B. His wife is his caregiver and he will be depressed if he comes to know and it will be very hard for her to manage him

C. It will not make any difference in the treatment because it is a serious condition and has no cure and his wife should keep on caring for him

D. He has dementia; he won't understand the situation anyway.

7. A patient presented to your office with active T.B. You prescribed the medication and you gave him another appointment for follow up but he didn't show up. Your secretary called him to set another appointment and he didn't show up again. You sent him a letter threatening him to inform public health. He sent you a letter through his lawyer accusing you of breeching the confidentiality. What will be your action?

A. Get a court order as an obligation for treatment

B. Inform the public health

C. Contact your lawyer to handle the case

D. Consult the special lawyer for a legal advice

8. A female just delivered a baby and she and her husband refused the Erythromycin drops to be put into the baby's eyes. What will be your action?

A. Call the child aid society for advice

B. Do as the parents want

C. Put the eye drops even if the parents refuse

9. You prescribed antipsychotic to the patient with Parkinsonism. In the follow up you stopped the drug. On the second day the patient falls and his hip is fractured. His daughter tells you that this is your fault. What will you do?

A. Call your insurance company

B. Call his lawyer to discuss for compensation

C. Tell her that this is a side effect and it can happen in some patients

D. You don't do any thing because the incidence occurred after you stopped the medicine

10. A14-year old girl comes to you and asks you to prescribe OCPs to her. What will you do?

A. Prescribe the pills to her

B. Call her mother for permission

11. A diabetic patient comes to the ER with impending gangrene. You informed her about amputation to save her life. She tells you that " I came to this world with my both limbs and I will leave the same way. In the meantime she loses consciousness. Her family is asking you to amputate her leg to save her life. What will you do?

A. Amputate because now she is incompetent and her family is now responsible for making decisions.

B. Treat the sepsis irrespective of the outcome

C. Ask your lawyer

D. Ask the legal committee of the hospital

12. If you have an AIDS patient what you will do?

A. Notify the public health

B. Notify his close contacts

C. The public health office was already notified when he was HIV positive

6-B, dont actually know the answer but i'll go for B.

7-B, he has a communicable dz which is potentially dangerous to others around him and so the doc must inform. its his duty.

8-C, the eye infection, if it occurs can be potentially harmful for the child's vision and parents cannot withhold limb saving Rx

9- dont know the answer but i'll go for C

10-B, the child is 14yrs old and so not a partial emancipated minor. the child should be 16 yrs to be a partial emancipated minor and for the doc to legally write prescription for her.

11-B, the patient expressed her wish not to go for amputation before the operation.

12-A, dont know if the doc should first notify the officials or his close contacts but i'll go for A cause the public health will track all his close aides and inform them too.

7 B

8 C

9 C

10 A

11 B

12A

All not sure

agree with achiles for all questions exept 8.i think its b child has no infection yet and parents have right to refuse we cant even vaccinate child against parents will

agree with yasmeen.......question 10...ans should be A...

one more thing ....i dont understand question 9....antipsychotics for parkinsonism????confused

correct me if wrong........

7B-shouldn't public health department have been notified long time ago, upon diagnosing the active TB in the first place?
8C
9C-I think what they mean is antipsychotic was given to demented pt who performed parkinsonism. You've stopeed the medication, but the stiffness doesn't disappear immedicately upon stopping the medicaion. So, the pt fell next day after You've stopped medication.
10B
11A??? How long will You treat sepsis if the gangrene is still there?
12A

6] D
7] B
8] B agree with yasmeen
9] C
10] A no need for parental consent for OCP
11] B
12] A

agree with srf and mesh for question 10. i'll go for A too. i had a confusion about this question and we are already having a discussion on it in another post-"phew ! one more ethic ?" so i'll go for A too as this is also the answer that UW gives.

rasul, the answer to the 11th question is B. pt has right to refuse life saving Rx and before she loses conciousness she had made it clear that she does not want amputation.

about the 8th question, the whole idea of putting eye drops is to prevent infection and not to treat existing infection. if the infection occurs then the child can have permanent vision problems and parents cannot withhold limb/life saving Rx. and thats why i went for C.

but i have a feeling that yasmeen is right cause i remember now coming across a question where the doc was not allowed to vaccinate a child against the mothers wishes(weird !!) but i am not really sure. yasmeen are yu absolutely certain about the answer ?

Thx, Achilles. Of course, You're right about 11. What drives me crazy is I have exam in 2weeks, and so far don't feel that I'm ready. I can take a very hard question, use my logic and crack it. And I can try a very simple question, and not be able to answer it correct. I'm afraid, I'll fail this exam.sad

dont worry rasul, you have been answering very good. everyone gets a question or two wrong(look at mesmiling face). you have been getting most of your questions right. be positive and give the exam. i am sure you will get thru and one day become a very fine doctor.

yasmeen, you were right about the 8th question. the answer is B-do as the parents wish and do not put the drops. came across a similar question in UW and they gave the same answer.

thanks everyone.

Rasul
you & failure is non compitable
many times you are right.
surly you are going to get good score

Thank you for your support, guys.

Just confirming the answer to the 8th question...asked a pediatrician and she said you would do as the parents wish in this case.The parents also have the right to refuse immunisations for their child.

gr8 !!! thanks cyra.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact