Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Stuck on Mendelian problem  

• 0/5

Author2 Posts

Hi guys, I'm really stuck on this problem. It appears to be a simple one (monohybrid) but for some reason I can't get my head around it. It roughly shows a 9:3:3:1 ratio (dihybrid) but is mono hybrid, and shows codominance but has 4 different colours confused Mexican jumping beans normally have black seed coats, but a number of seed colour variants occur. A plant from a true breeding brown-seeded variety was crossed with another plant from a true-breeding red-seeded variety. The F1 progeny were all black seeded. When the F1 plants were self-pollinated, then the F2 were found to segregate for seed-colour: Black 468 Brown 140 Red 146 Yellow 46 1. How many genes control seed colour? 2. If more than one gene is involved, do they show linkage? 3. What is the genotype of the yellow seeds produced in the F2?

Hi guys, I'm really stuck on this problem. It appears to be a simple one (monohybrid) but for some reason I can't get my head around it. It roughly shows a 9:3:3:1 ratio (dihybrid) but is mono hybrid, and shows codominance but has 4 different colours confused

Mexican jumping beans normally have black seed coats, but a number of seed colour variants occur. A plant from a true breeding brown-seeded variety was crossed with another plant from a true-breeding red-seeded variety. The F1 progeny were all black seeded. When the F1 plants were self-pollinated, then the F2 were found to segregate for seed-colour:

Black 468
Brown 140
Red 146
Yellow 46

1. How many genes control seed colour?
2. If more than one gene is involved, do they show linkage?
3. What is the genotype of the yellow seeds produced in the F2?

(Hope this is clearer than above, 4 some reason it posted all in one paragraph)

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Mendelian Problem
Stuck in Ca
What kind of food is stuck first?
show Related resources

Swanson's Family Practice Review: A Problem-Oriented Approach

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact