Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

kaplan centerprep  

• 0/5

Author21 Posts

Hello there
I am new to this forum and I find it very helpful
Could anyone please tell me anything about kaplan center prep?
I took the kaplan webprep but failed.
Now I plan to take the centerprep .Can someone please tell
me whether it is worth doing because i already have the notes
Is it really good? How good are the videos ? Do they really make you thorough with the subjects? Do you think I can pass after doing the centerprep ?
Someone please reply soon as I have no idea what to do and I am in a hurry to start studing again for step 1
Thanks

someone please reply

Only thing I can say is know well whatever you study. no matter what material or method you use. Kaplan videos are good in clearing up concepts

hi !
what i will suggest is that what ever you do i mean whatever material you usedo repeat it for 2-3times and if you have graduated 4-5 years back then i think you should join the prepration center otherwise it is not neccesary.
bye& good luck.

Hi ayesha,
how is ur preparation going on?

hi asmi !
my preparation is going good but my speed has slow down as i have to go to newjersy for some personal reason now i am doing embryology these days & trying to get back to the track.what are you doing these days?

Thanks for the reply guys..Aiyesha I have graduated 4- 5 years back so do you think I should join centerprep? I mean how good are the videos ?
Can anyone tell me whether they teach everything in the kaplan books and do they cover each and every topic?
Please reply soon ...
Thanks

out of curiosity, what was your score with the webprep, as I myself was thinking to take it, and I graduated long time ago, much longer then you, took step 1 recently and failed, but that was without any help or advise.
But I was thinking that maybe webprep would make me focus as I got 70% in the first attempt. Now you're scaring me!!

hi!
actually i personaly don't have experience of webprep , but what i have heard from different people is that it covers topic in kaplan lecture notes but do take advice from people who already have joined it as it is expensive.i didnot joined it as i graduated in feb 2003 ,but what i think that if you have studied the material for 1 time than keep on repeating it & do as much mcqs as you can.
good luck.

Thanks for the reply Aiysha.
Actually my question was for the guest who's asking about the center videos, after taking the webprep and not succeeding in step 1.
I wanted to know what was the score on the exam. What I have gathered from the forum's discussion is that we have to study from the same material that we already are studing from, but "supplementing" it with Kaplan's webcourse or videos so that it is a good revision and we can pick up the extra focal points that we miss when we study on our own.
How does that sound??? Tell me if I am wrong, as I myself have to retake the exam in 4 months and have not yet started to restudy!
Trying to work up a strategy here.

Hi FH
MY score in step 1 after taking webprep was 68.
Not what I expected . The webprep actually teaches only the high yeild
stuff from the kaplan notes . It does not cover everything. The only thing I liked in it was biochem ,physiology and behavioural sciences. The other subjects were not very well explained.
As far as what I did was just webprep and kaplan notes and" did not " do many mcqs
Thanks

Hi Guest,
So it was a learning experience. I hear the same thing about the videos too. So your strategy should be to study from the books that everybody recommands, like BRS for Patho, Physio, behavioral sc., High yeild for Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Embryology, lippincot For biochemistry, Pharma,
Levinson for Micro and Immuno, and for Genetics something special as I failed because of a lot of Genetics. they are saying that High yield cell and molecular biology has good genetics, I intend to read that too, then afterwards do the web course and a lot of MCQ'S.
Just jumping to do the center course by Kaplan might not work, frankly people advised me to join Kaplan the first time, but as I have graduated long ago, like a decade earlier, I wanted to read the books before I would take it. I got 170/70. Did not pass, but now I think supplementing Kaplan as a revision should work as we know the coursework, just focus on weak parts and alot of questions . So don't despair. Remain motivated and you'll get thru, thats what I am trying to do.
This is just my personal opinion. GOOD LUCK!!

Id say absorb some Molecular bio, and pathophysio before taking centerprep :idea:

HI FH
What do you mean that you heard the same thing about the kaplan videos? Do you mean they dont cover everything? Are they also only high yeild? Dont they teach everything in the kaplan notes chapter by chapter?
Please clarify my doubts as I was thinking of joining it .
Now I am in a fix. Do you think it is not worth it/
Please reply soon
Thanks

hello someone please clear my doubts
is kaplan video course good?
how are the videos? Do the videos explain everything in the notes?
Please reply as I want to join it
thanks

Kaplan center preparation is the one that uses recorded videos of live lectures and you can use them at your own pace, with the order you want and as many times you want, yes they cover everything on the notes, the program that doesn't cover all what is in the notes is kaplan webprep so they are different.

If you have the money go ahead and make the investment its worth it, personally I don't think people fail because the programs didn't work, you do have to reread the books again after you finish the course in order to consolidate the information.

Good luck

Kaplan videos are good in explaining the concepts and they do go through everything in the notes, rather telling more details and questions that may be asked on the subject.
The only problem that you might face is that if you take these videos at a busy kaplan center you ll have to adjust your time for watching videos according to other people. So best recommendation is make sure the center you are choosing doesnt have this problem.
Another thing, there are >200 videos and they might take more than 2 months to finish (that is the usual time for finishing your first reading), so you have to be focussed and consistent.
If you/anyone else choose to take the course email me and I can give you more suggestions how to make best use of this program.
Webprep is actually not a video, its an audio program and Raturbay is right, it doesnt cover all the topics, it only gives a review of high yields topics (but they have missed some really high-yields in it, eg HY topics in MB and Resp. etc). The covered topics have audios from the same series of video lectures meaning these are not different lectures.
I hope you are satisfied now.
imgpk@hotmail.com

thanks for the replies Raturbay and IMGPK
It s a great help

you are welcome guest and good luck for your exam

can you please tell me what is the best book/s for molecu biology & for pathophysiology

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Kaplan Intenseprep v. Centerprep
Anyone who has taken Kaplan Centerprep?
Kaplan Live lectures v/s Centerprep
show Related resources

Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Web Prep
Kaplan Lecture Notes: Pediatrics
Kaplan Lecture Notes: Surgery

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact