Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Another tip for a high score!  

• 0/5

Author70 Posts

Sam27:

I shall reveal my secret...shocked Well this is what I did... First count the # of pages per book and the amount of days available, so you will have an estimate of the # of pages per day you should memorized. At first sight it will look a small number of pages, but it is not. I had to memorized an average of 25 pages per day.

I took a set of 4-6 pages, gave a radip reading of the whole set. Afterwards, I took 1 page of the set and gave a slow reading of it, 1 or 2 times, and finally, I made a summary of that page "blindfolded" before I moved to the next page. Once you finish that set, grab another 4-6 pages and continue. It can take you between 15 to 40 minutes per page depending on the complexity of the material (that's why you will need tons of time). The mnemonics will come to your head when needed.

This is my technique, is boring and fells like going in slow motion. The good thing was I felt more confident and the info came to my head when needed (at least most of the time, it is impossible to retain everything though, should let something for review...grin) So the thing is fast and furious, or slow and peaceful

That's it... it has copyright, so I shall receive credit if you get 99...

HI ISTHER,i really want to thank u from the bottom of my heart for such a wonderful study techniques, infact that study technique is the best i used till now. I could retain the material for more time and felt confident.I am sure u r going to make it to a great doctor because u care for others despite of your busy schedule. If u dont mind could u pls give me your email id .if u dont want to post your email id in this forum u can send it to my email address shibusoren@yahoo.com. Again thank u sooooooooo ...... much. God bless

sam27

HI ISTHER. I really want to thank u from the bottom of my heart for such a wonderful study technique,infact the best study technique i ever used.I could retain the material for longer time and felt confident.I am sure u r going to be a great doctor becaues of your humble and caring attitude for others . If u dont mind could u give me your email address.or if u r uncomfortable to post your email id in this forum u can send it to my email address shibusoren@yahoo.com

All your helps are greatly appreciated.

god bless

sam27

"Studied a total of 8 months, the first 4 was only reviewing briefly any book that came on hand, 4 months before exam I worked on Kaplan notes, I read them only once, memorizing and working with mnemonics and stuff. And one month before D-day, 3870 MCQ's were devoured. It was of extremely importance to make a simulation before Kaplan notes, and before MCQ's because it showed my progress and helped me to work on the areas I sucked. "

Thanks for your input. It's helpful for me to make a schedule.

I have a question about what you mentioned above. You did a simulation test before you went to Kaplan notes and before you started MCQ. What you suggest would be to do the simulation test after each round of study. Is that right? Correct me if I am wrong. One more thing is about the stimulation test, what did you take, NBME?

Thankssmiling face

Xwxf:

The main reason to do a simulation was to asses my progress after each part of my preparation. Before Kaplan notes, had to determine which subject I needed to spend more time. After each subject, I did Qbook's and compared if actually I was doing well. Finally, another simulation before MCQ's for basically the same reason and focus my review on my weak areas. Also, you can find out if you are neglecting a subject you were ok at the beginning.

The bottom line is... must keep a track of your progress. The simulations I did were Kaplan's.

thanks for good advice congratulation good luck for second step

congrats,now that you aced in step-1 ,good luck fpr step-2.are taking part in 2007 match?

hey Isther

I am back again with another basic doubt...like you have written in your 1st post that one must get registered with the ecfmg before starting the preparation, I have not done so as yet.

Please could you tell me the outline of how to go about it , also 1 major thing that was holding me back initially was that someone i know told me that one has to be sure of the 3 month period in which one wants to take the exam before starting the registartion process, is it true?

also if you could tell me what documents are required to register with them and does the medical school send the ecfmg some documents while we wre registering....alll in all isther i have half baked knowledge of the process and would be greatful if you could shed some light on it

i want to register as soon as i can now since you have written how important a step this is but the fear of unknown holds me back...pl guide me

regards

aarya

Thanks for the good wishes, and Brown... indeed, If things go ok, I'll do it...Match 2007 HERE I COME!!!!!.

Aarya:

Well, That's kinda diffucult to explain all but hope this help.
  1. Must read all the USMLE and ECFMG 2006 boulletin, this will help you a LOT.
  2. Once done that, go to the ECFMG web site and start your application for step 1. You will need certain information from your med school to fill the online application, but you can save and come back later so that's no prob. At the end of the online process, must print an paper and have it signed by you med school dean and send it to ECFMG in USA together with a bunch of other papers.
  3. ECFMG will send the documents to your med school asking for verification, and your med school should send it back to ECFMG, toghether with your transcript.
  4. Once your med credentials are verified, you will receive notification and the orange paper will come soon.

Don't worry, the details will be explain when the time comes, but as a summary that's the whole process. As for the elegibility period (the 3 month period), you can change exam date within the period, but if you want to change the 3 months period, must send an application with enough time to precess it otherwise you will be fined. All is in the boulletin.

By the way, I'm preparing for CS and CK for May... wish me luck... TONS OF LUCK!!! and any cheerful note will be appreciated... So long my dudes!!!!

Sir Isther Tired O'reading

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

One more question is about pathology part. You used Kaplan LN and Goljan rapid reivew for this section. Which one did you use more often? I know Goljan one is really thick book. I worry about the time since I am studying 5 hours/day.

Thanks

Xwxf:

I used Goljan's, didn't have time for Kaplan's path and I found it lame after doing GRR + audio... Think the GRR is more that enough if you manage to learn it well. 5 hours/day may be enough depending on the day you scheduled for yer exam.

Peace!!!

Hey Isther. i found your post useful. Very good information regarding prepration. Would you plz tell me. if want to do more questions than qbank ,qbook kaplan..wht other qbanks are good to do?

looking forward to hear from you.

thanks

Unfortunate:

Besides those, NBME I and II, Board Simulator Series, and USMLE cd. Those are which I heard during my preparation and seems to be standard. I only did USMLE cd, Qbook, and Qbank.

All the best!

hi & thanks for great advice i have a qs for you which goljan notes you read 500 pages? b/c i have 500 & the one star pathology review by goljan i don't know somehow i feel difficult to read those 500 pages will i be ok with the other booki mentioned it has 350 pages in total & it is by goljan too. plz ans thanks.

Zzzz:

Well, I don't know that 500 by Goljan. The G-man has several publications, those which I know are the 100-pages, the 36-pages, and Rapid Review (350 pages). The 100 and 36 are a very nice list of high yield facts of all subjects worthy to memorize. Rapid Review is a very comprenhensive book, and as I mentioned before, it was enough for me to ace path together with the audio. Not sure if that will help you with your doubt, but I hope it does.

Take care!

Hey Isther

YOu have CS and CK in May......best wishes to you . May you get the residency that you want ...i know u shall be a great doctor

Thanks for taking out the time to reply my ques.in the midst of such hectic and busy schedule

Hey Aarya! no prob, I'm glad of being useful. Just remember that this is like "paying forward"... Once you get your 99 share what you learned with the newbies.

Other thing... for those who read this... I'm having some troubles trying to get US-letters of recomendation, so for those of you who think that the scores are the only thing needed for residency... is not... try to plan in advance and check for things to improve your cv before send the applications...

Keep reading guys!!!

Exactly 2 years ago, I started studying for the step 1... to all of you who are preparing for this tough exam... GOOD LUCK!!!

gringringrin

Thanks Mate!!!!

THAT WAS GREAT !! I guess one of the very most inspiring post 4m smiling face thanx a lot Isther and very best luck !! dividing the pages to days and then thinking like yeaaa 25 pages today...fine ...then at 4:00 PM endin up with 6 pages and get shockedraised eyebrowdisapproval THATS ME !! and I was startin to think my plan was not good but yeaa u did the same !! Ill try te be consistent with that ! Thanx a lot smiling face

n-n-l ...Im still prayin 4u nod

best luck everyone

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

tip
Tip-off matching
what is waiter's tip?
show Related resources

High-Yield Gross Anatomy
High-Yield Obstetrics & Gynecology
High-Yield Embryology

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact