Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

q-child brain tumor 2  

• 0/5

Author8 Posts

Q.
7y, female, generalized headache on and off for 1wk, fatigue, poor appetite. which tumore is most likely:
1. ALL
2. neuroblastoma
3. cerebellar astrocytoma

A&Y?

ALL, as most common malignancy in this age gp

although ALL is most common. but since the symptom is headache, why not choose neuroblastoma? and does ALL mainly cause headache? :?:

i am still not sure about this, more explanation required plz

hi, losergirl, your answer, ALL, is right as in nms, review for usmle step 2. but i am not so convinced is because usually ALL presents "fatigue, pallor, petechiae and bleeding, and fever." instead of "headache" (am i right?)

in this question, the main symptom is "head on and off for 1wk". and because neuroblastoma is the most common tumor of cns. so why not neuroblastoma?

listen dude, neuroblastoma is malignancy of neural crest cells. Tumors may arise any where neural crest cells are present (adrenal glands, sympthetic ganglia). It represent 8% of all childhood tumors and is the most common solid malignancy in children OUTSIDE of the CNS. 70% are in abdomen, and half of these r in adrenal. the findings on PE depend on presentation of pt: e.g., abdominal mass that is hard, smooth n nontender, or thoracic tumor present with respiatory distress or detected accidently in post mediastinum, or as palapable head n neck tumors etc.
i hope this helps. Read neuroblastoma from kaplan pediatric notes if u got the book :|

most common posterior fossa brain tumor of childhood: cerebellar astrocytoma

most common supratentorial tumor: craniopharngioma

thanks.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

q-child brain tumor
brain tumor
Brain tumor-which sign is NOT localizing?
show Related resources

High-Yield Brain and Behavior

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact