Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Pharm 11  

• 0/5

Author9 Posts

49. After taking an overdose of propranolol, a 35-year-old woman develops sinus bradycardia and syncope. In order to stimulate the same second messenger system that is activated by â-adrenergic receptors, which of the following drugs will be most effective to increase her heart rate?

A ) ADH (vasopressin)

B ) Atrial natriuretic peptide

C ) Clonidine

D ) Glucagon

E ) Phenylephrine

is it D?

the ans is D

Are you sure?
Glucagon activates Gs and Alpha 1 activates Gq.

E?

ADH: V1, V2. indicated for ADH deficiency, Gq

ANP: systemic vasodilation, maybe due to decrease the release of sympathetic products

Clonidine: Alpha2 agonist, used in hypertension, Gi

Glucagon: used in beta blocker intoxication, Gs

phenylephrine: alpha 1 agonist, Gq, used as decongestant and mydriasis without cycloplegia

I had not understood the question...I think they want us to choose drug to reverse bradycardia by using the same second messenger system as A-adrenergics..If what I have understood now is correct then the ans is E ( phenylephrine)..and if we are asked to use that second messenger system that is used by B-adrenergics then the ans is glucagon

I'm confused too because phenylephrine is not used for such purposes

Sorry all, I think there may be a typo in the question:

I think it should say:

After taking an overdose of propranolol, a 35-year-old woman develops sinus bradycardia and syncope. In order to stimulate the same second messenger system that is activated by BETA-adrenergic receptors, which of the following drugs will be most effective to increase her heart rate?

A ) ADH (vasopressin)

B ) Atrial natriuretic peptide

C ) Clonidine

D ) Glucagon

E ) Phenylephrine

Then people who said D) Glucagon are right...

Well, alpha receptors are not involved in increase heart rate (alpha 1 is responsible for increasing diastolic pressure and thereby increasing TPR; alpha 2 is to decrease blood pressure and is used in hypertension)

Beta 1 is the only one that increases HR… A stimulation of Beta 1 receptors activates a G protein (Gs). Glucagon also has a similar action by activating the same G protein Gs.

Anecdotal evidence suggests a benefit of higher doses of glucagon in the treatment of overdose with beta blockers; the likely mechanism of action is the increase of cAMP in the myocardium, effectively bypassing the inhibitory action of the β-adrenergic second messenger system

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

IV / REJECTIONS for week 11/0 to 11/12
IV / REJECTIONS for week 11/05 to 11/12
IV / REJECTIONS for week 11/12 to 11/19
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact