Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

kaplan Q  

• 0/5

Author9 Posts

A physiccian interviews an 18 year old female patient who mentions that she has just received a negative syphilis test result from the county health department. She describe her sense of relief at receiving the test result. She discloses that she is a sex worker who "works the stroll" four to five nights a week. She has been " tricking" for the past 18 months. Typically, she has oral or vaginal sex with five to eight customers pernight

For a higher fee, she will have sex without requiring her customer to wear a condom. On the basis of these finding, the physycian is likely to be most concerning with which of the following screening test measures ?

A. Sensitivity

B. Specificity

C. Positive predictive value

D. Negative predictive value

E. Accuracy

Plz give your explanation

A.

the answer is Negative predictive value, but there is not an explanation

I think this q is confusing because there is a positve correlation between sensitive & NPV

so may be both A & D are correct ???

i thought NPV, but I have no explanation. Biostatistics and epidemiology are weak areas for me.

In USMLEWORLD BIOSTAT&PREV.MED. MCQS-answers, these are well explained. NPV of the syphilis test is more imp. than sensitivity.it's the factor that determines reliability of the result. UW explains better than me.

NPV... She just recieved a negative result, but she is still in high-risk setting..therefore..how likely is she to be really Negative in the face of negative result.

Hope this helps.

NPV, accuracy and specificity all talk about the probability of the negative result being actually negative. So you could answer any of the 3 options and you would be correct. But, why is NPV the best answer for the Q?

NPV: The proportion of people with a negative screening test result who are well.

Edited by guayoman on Aug 17, 2005 - 2:42 PM

This thing is scrambling my post. I canĀ“t edit it!maddisapprovalshaking head

The thing is IF you knew for a fact that she was NEG then you could use specificity. accuracy is just to complicated to be right answer. HAHA

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Kaplan note, Kaplan lecture, Kaplan...
kaplan we prep Vs Kaplan home study
kaplan lectures vs Kaplan Medical home study
show Related resources

Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Web Prep
Kaplan Lecture Notes: Pediatrics
Kaplan Lecture Notes: Surgery

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact