Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Surgery Match Experiences  

• 0/5

Tags:    
Author105 Posts

choose both

Edited by joel on Mar 03, 2007 - 11:34 AM

in surgery, its said that every year seats go unmatched, especially in preliminary positions.....these are available for post match......but to take part in post match, one should not have matched anywhere....if you dont get surgery in your ranked choices and get matched with an internal medicine prog or any other field then you would not be able to take part in post match for prelim open seats ..IS THIS TRUE???

also is it true that to apply to some prog in post match we necessarily need to have applied there earlier....or its nothing like that...

1 is it so that to be able to take part in post match, one should have necessarily taken part in match ?

2 in order to apply to some prog for post match, is it required to have applied there beforehand?

3 Suppose i rank 6 programs, top 3 for general surgery position and last 3 for internal medicine and then i dont match in general surg prog but match in internal medicine program, can i still take part in post match and apply for general surgery program which have open seats?

Once you match into a program, you are stuck. You cannot just 'leave' it. If you do that, you are disqualified to ever enter the NRMP match. Thats why they rank carefully and programs you can see yourself realistically going to.
In other words, if you match into an internal med program, you cannot apply for any other open positions

Surg is rite, the match is a binding contract and there is no way of leaving it. The only way of rematching is if you reapply the following year with permission from your current program of course, but even so, I doubt you'd be able to macth again as there will be a record of your leaving a paritcular program.

panchal wrote:
in surgery, its said that every year seats go unmatched, especially in preliminary positions.....these are available for post match......but to take part in post match, one should not have matched anywhere....if you dont get surgery in your ranked choices and get matched with an internal medicine prog or any other field then you would not be able to take part in post match for prelim open seats ..IS THIS TRUE???also is it true that to apply to some prog in post match we necessarily need to have applied there earlier....or its nothing like that...

1 is it so that to be able to take part in post match, one should have necessarily taken part in match ?

2 in order to apply to some prog for post match, is it required to have applied there beforehand?

3 Suppose i rank 6 programs, top 3 for general surgery position and last 3 for internal medicine and then i dont match in general surg prog but match in internal medicine program, can i still take part in post match and apply for general surgery program which have open seats?

Can someone answer questions 1 & 2 please?

With ref to post by "fox" dtd Jan 3, 07

Ans 1. Yes

Ans 2. No

i think

1 , No

2 , No but if u ve applied i think it ll save u the trouble of faxing !!

csdude wrote:
i think

1 , No

2 , No but if u ve applied i think it ll save u the trouble of faxing !!

this is what I've heard most people say

Just came across this blog.......looks promising......check it out surgery applicants
petitesurgeon.blogspot.com.......

Needless to say, the author of the blog is yours truly wink.....i look forward to hearing the feedback from you guys !!!

ladydoc, your link cannot be accessed. please post the corect link

Edited by ManuNastai on May 03, 2007 - 10:27 AM

sorry ManuNastai, i was so excited about putting out my thoughts for all to see that i messed up. its petitesurgeon.wordpress.com. i have just posted two articles yet. Thanks

Hi everyone, I am going to attempt to match at a catagorical Gen. Surgery program this match. My stats are

99/99/Pass Straight A's in school. I am a caribbean medical student/grad...

How many programs do you think I need to apply to in order to get in?

Do you think 12-15 is enough? I would like to stay in MD, PA, NJ, DE...

I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!!!

NJEMT369 ~
Your comment is very interesting !! grin
Your thread in the CK exam experience says that your CK exam was 27 th of July.
But you already have your CK result here in this thread, which you wrote as 99.

Since my exam was 26th of July, I know that OASIS is not updated for me, I am sure that your OASIS is not updated either.

I can see that you have very high step1 score and very high CK UW rate, henceforth you are already so sure of getting 99 in CK.

Very interesting !!

Graduation School: Univ of Cambridge, UK

Graduation year: 2005

Visa Status (IMGs): Green card (Won the lottery, originally from Ireland)

Credentials:
- USMLE Scores - 99/99/pass
- ECFMG Certification
- USCE (US Clinical Experience): 1 month cardiothoracic surgery @ MGH
- LORs (Letters of Recommendation): 2 from USA, 1 from UK
- Research/Publications: 1 publication in Nature (it was just a technical scientific paper)
- Work Experience: 1 month elective clerkship @ MGH.
- Also worked part time as a model and part time MTV VJ, semi finalist of Pop Idol, spent one year acting in London theatre to pay back med school debt (Les Miserables). Was very busy in med school but somehow managed to do well in USMLEs.

Applications (preliminary/categorical): Catergorical Surgery

Interviews: Due to time constraints (was working as F1 doctor in UK so had very short time off)- only attended interviews at some places - Harvard (MGH, Brigham and Womens), Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Yale, Baylor, Johns Hopkins, UCSF, UCLA

Prematch offers: none

Matched at: MGH, 1st choice. Was pleased, finally no more modelling and singing!!! smiling face

geez.. we could make a movie out of your life story.. awesome!
how many IMGs did MGH match last year apart from you?
also how many IMGs are there in total at MGH general surgery residency?
Thanks!

Hey jeanbaptiste... I think your comment is keen but I did in fact score 256/99 on USMLE Step 2 CK... I did not have my score by the time I wrote this thread but my NBME was so high and after the exam I was very confident... apparently for good reason...

I hope you scored 99 as well...

dupuytren,
I am sorry to say that but I don't think your story sounds true.
From a very reliable resource I have the information that no IMG ever matched at MGH for a categorical position including this year. They have 900 applications each year for 8 categorical spots and only take AMGs.

anyone whos ever matched in surgery prelim/categ with 99's in steps but one failed cs attempt???

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

OB/GYN Match Experiences
Match 2010 iv experiences
Pediatrics Match Experiences
show Related resources

NMS Surgery
Kaplan Lecture Notes: Surgery
Match a Resident

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact