Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Surgery Match Experiences  

• 0/5

Tags:    
Author105 Posts

This topic is for interviews & matching experiences for Surgery Residency Programs.

The suggested list may include the following information:

Graduation School: IMG/US applicant:

Graduation year:

Visa Status (IMGs):

Credentials:
- USMLE Scores
- ECFMG Certification
- USCE (US Clinical Experience):
- LORs (Letters of Recommendation):
- Research/Publications:
- Work Experience:

Applications (preliminary/categorical):

Interviews:

Prematch offers:

Matched at:

Suggestions welcomed!

Edited by prep4usmle on Oct 03, 2005 - 8:34 PM

why is that nobody in this column????is it sooo tough to get in surgery?????

Hi,

One of my friends got surgery.

IMG,both scores high 90s,2003 grad.,some observership in surgery in U.S.,No research/publications.

He matched at a prestigious university program in NY.

Yes, surgery is competitive but many IMGs do get into it.The biggest plus point is having done surgery residency from your home country.

According to Freida....in 2003 20% of the residency posts in the U.S. went to IMGs.....so if you do have a decent chance.

Oh yeah one more thing.....surgery programs do not offer pre-matches in general.

thank u so much,well this information has encouraged me alot to work on it.

Hi guys

Just a quick Q regarding applying for g.surgery:

I am about to finish with my step 2 ck (taking the exam in the late July) & step2 cs should follow it up (following 4 weeks), now am I gonna be ready for applying to the matching inseptember even if I haven't got my cs & ck results yet ?

Regards

what about residency in otology. does otology rsidency in home country helps

Hi guys

I 'm a little bit puzzled here!

My usmle scores are : step 1 -95 , step 2 - 81

Does anyone think i have a good chance to get into a surgery residency program with such a medium step 2 score ?

I can't answer that question for you because there are diverse surgery programs.....some give priority to scores some don;t!

Some like previous surgery exposure some don't mind if you don't have it.

Some prefer research some don;t..

As for ENT.....its a very restricted field for IMGs.I advice you to not only apply to ENT but also to Surgery Preliminary spots.You may have a better chance after completing a 1 year prelim. surgery spot in ENT(this advice also goes to the guywho wants to do categorial surgery).Its not too difficult to get a prelim. surgery....as it is the just completed match shows almost 19%(I think) prelim. surgery spots went empty!

Malaysian wrote:
I can't answer that question for you because there are diverse surgery programs.....some give priority to scores some don;t!

Some like previous surgery exposure some don't mind if you don't have it.

Some prefer research some don;t..

As for ENT.....its a very restricted field for IMGs.I advice you to not only apply to ENT but also to Surgery Preliminary spots.You may have a better chance after completing a 1 year prelim. surgery spot in ENT(this advice also goes to the guywho wants to do categorial surgery).Its not too difficult to get a prelim. surgery....as it is the just completed match shows almost 19%(I think) prelim. surgery spots went empty!

ok, this is not the thread for this, but as no one is keeping it clean, beware of prelim surg spots. They are relatively easy to get, but at the end of 1 year, you have no gurantee to get the next years of training. You need at least three years in residency for a license.

Come on you guys!

I am sure there are people out there who matched for surgery. It would nice if you guys shared. I am interested in Surgery and would like to hear from people who have gone through the process.

Please share your experience with us.

Thanks

Hi everybody, I´m also interested in general surgery, that´s my area, I can´t be anything else. I´m done with step 1, I´m preparing for 2CK right now. I would like to ask you which scores do people need to get into a good general surgery residency program ??

thank you in advance smiling face

oh another thing, do you think it can be a plus that I made PGY1 in Surgery Residency in my country. Now I quit to prepare well for the steps. smiling face

Hi,

I would appreciate if anyone put here any advice which programs take IMG for Gen.Surg.

Some IMG, like me have low scores 75/78 and high ambitions. Do you think that v.good LoR from US Univ. and 1 year of Ortho Residency in home country is enough?

hi guys.....

so wat up??

who matched? where? where did all the surgeons on the forum go??

last post was in sept....

do share ......

heloooo...anybody homee???

please tell us your experiences

Hey all potential surgeons...I relly am interested in Plastic surgery..can anyone tell me, do I have to take general surgery first, then continue on from there? Or what's the deal?

for plastics..i think u apply seperatly.... u'll apply to plastic surg prog...if u get in then u do one year prelim general surgery..then go on to plastics....
if ur an img.....u'v chosen the most difficult one ever....
good luk!!!
ps...im not yet at that stage...so if anyone has a better idea of the whole deal..plz share here

Hi,

I matched in general surgery in canada, montreal (my first choice). We don't need the USMLE scores here (yeah we're lucky).

The matching process was more about how well you did in your clerkships, especially surgery (duh) and how well you did during the interview (how well you fit in the group). My best advice would be to work your butt off during your general surgery rotations. The most important thing (in my opinion) is to show interest/dedication in surgery. Of course, there's A LOT of difference between programs: some will consider a good score before a good interview, some will consider a good interview way before a good USMLE score...

Good luck guys,
Gen.Surgery is a great choice!

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

OB/GYN Match Experiences
Match 2010 iv experiences
Pediatrics Match Experiences
show Related resources

NMS Surgery
Kaplan Lecture Notes: Surgery
Match a Resident

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact