Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

histology  

• 0/5

Author19 Posts

You are on a surgical rotation. Three days ago, you got to close the incision on the ‘big’ surgery that took ten hours. On attending rounds, you are asked the following question: ‘If we were to biopsy your perfectly closed and healing wound, what would we expect to find?’

A. Granulation tissue, a large amount of neovascularization, and evidence of epithelial proliferation

B. The incision filled with a clot

C. Macrophages and granulation tissue

D. Neutrophils, mitoses in the epithelial basal cells, and closure of the wound site

E. Proliferation of fibroblasts, enough collagen deposition to produce a small scar, and no inflammation or newly formed vessels

come on guys this is easy :icon_cyclop:

MY guess is -E

I've rearranged this process and the correct answer is D .

B. The incision filled with a clot (first 24h)

D. Neutrophils, mitoses in the epithelial basal cells, and closure of the wound site (within 24 to 48h)

C. Macrophages and granulation tissue

A. Granulation tissue, a large amount of neovascularization, and evidence of epithelial proliferation

E. Proliferation of fibroblasts, enough collagen deposition to produce a small scar, and no inflammation or newly formed vessels

my answer is C

I think it is A

Phase 1 - acute inflammation+ vasodilation+increased permeability>fluid accumulation -[ within 24 hrs] -recollect wounds are oozy in begining-epithelium starts growing with 2 hrs .

Phase 2- granulation+ neovascularization- 24-48 hrs + mono and lympho (T subsets)[ mono secrete growth factors]-

Phase 3 - Fibroblast proliferation/mild deposition - 48-72 hrs - very diagnostic-recollect from surgical ward round- fluid oozing decreases-dressings are not changed after 72 hrs

Phase 4- epithelization/ moderate collagen -after 72 hrs-collagen deposition is Maximum between 1-3 weeks

any corrections guys?

Deepak :wink:

ritu plz tell the answer

It would be choice C

I agreee with Maty-answer d

i think it is C
please ritu tell us the correct answer.

I think its C too.....but A is a close contender!

the correct answer is A. the third day granulation tissue start

5 years later digging it out....

going with C.

Nice dig up GG grin

Me too go with C.

Does granulation tissue appear in 3 days..??raised eyebrow

How is it C..?? Plz explain

me too go with c nod

VamAppu wrote:
Does granulation tissue appear in 3 days..??raised eyebrow

How is it C..?? Plz explain

yes granulation tissue appear from 3 to 7 days

i was between E and C... put E because i fixated on (your perfectly closed and healing wound),, so thought the wound healing here wouldnt nicssate inflammatory reaction.... apparently i am mistaken smiling face

cnodnodnodcool

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

histology
How much histology !!
Histology
show Related resources

Elsevier's Integrated Histology
USMLE Road Map: Histology
High-Yield Histology

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact