Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Q3  

• 0/5

Author13 Posts

1. Kulchitsky cells are neuroendocrine cells that secrete serotonine and calcitonin and are present in the :

A.Trachea
B.intestine
C.oesophagus
D.liver
E.kidney
F.lung
H.bronchi

2. The site of the maximum airway resistence is the :

A.trachea
B.bronchi
C.medium sized bronchioles
D.respiratory bronchioles
E.terminal bronchioles
F.alveolar ducts

hmm...for 1 i thought that kulchitsky cells are present in the GI tract and lungs

two is C

4 1st one wat is ans? anybody.....

1B intestine , produce serotonine

2BBBB
max airway resistance is in medium sized bronchi NOT bronchioles

Do these cells secrete calcitonin too?confused

why you choose only B for the first Q although these cells present in both bronchi and intestine?

and I think it produce only serotonine.....

what's the true answer?!!

Kulchitsky cells are the (Entro)chromafin cells ... they are neuroenocrince cells. think of them as the ones responsible for cacinoid syndrome and small lung cancer... so esraa is right they are found in both tissues, but by defintion they are found in intestine (can refer to the ones in the lung as EC like cell),,,,,, (in the lung they are found bronchi-by the way)

2 i chose C... but got confused by answers above

answer of question 1 is lung as given in goljan rapid review 2 edition on page 323 that small cell carcinoma arises from kultchitsky cells, neuroendocrine cells..
wink

ans of ques 2 is that resistance is most in its amount where diameter is smallest as poiselle equation says..so ans must be respiratory bronchioles...if this is incorrect i will tell you when i will get the right answer..nod

sorry.. answer is bronchi...grin

Q1 Answer is B
Enterochromaffin (EC) cells (Kulchitsky cells) are a type of enteroendocrine cell in the epithelia lining the lumen of the digestive tract. They produce and contain about 90% of the body's store of serotonin (5-HT).In GI tract, 5-HT is important in response to chemical, mechanical or pathological stimuli in the lumen. It activates both secretory and peristaltic reflexes, and activates vagal afferents (via 5-HT3 receptors) that signal to the brain (important in the generation of nausea).

Q2: Answer is C; Resistance is greatest at the bronchi of intermediate size, in between the fourth and eighth bifurcation.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact