Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Step 1 score-243,old IMG and MOM  

• 100/5

Author14 Posts

Hi All,
This post is to share my experience in preparing for Step 1 especially old IMG`s and moms. I have been following this forum for a long time, extremely benefitted from various experiences.
My YOG is 2007.
First of all the exam is doable and don't get scared about it anytime.
Preparation time- 5 months
sources- Kaplan lecture notes, Uworld , FA, pathoma and BRS behavioral sciences......nothing else.
Anatomy- Uworld and FA (neuro from Kaplan)
Physiology- Uworld and FA
Biochemistry- Uworld, FA, Kaplan notes and videos
Micro- Kaplan notes and videos (excellent),Uworld and FA
Patho- ONLY PATHOMA (EXCELLENT)
Pharma- uworld and FA
BS- was tough for me, used Uworld, FA and BRS (was very weak in ethics)
NBME scores- my highest score was 240 in NBME 17 , 3 weeks before exam, predictive of my actual score.
other 3 NBME scores in 230`s. 1 week before exam in NBME 15, got 232,was scary and disappointing. my advice is don't take any NBME s in last two weeks of exam, do it ahead at least 3 weeks before.
UWSA 1 - 235
Exam DAYYY....... as most of the people say, I felt the exam was too tough, too long questions, always confusing between two similar answers......way tougher than any NBME`S and UWSA. I was marking at least 10 qns in each block which I was not sure. Only good thing was I had enough time in all the blocks, finished all qns in 45mts and I had 15 mts for revision, Thanks to NBME `s for that. So do practice in online NBME for real experience. exam is similar to uworld qns but little longer with too many details. only new qns for me were that of Insurance and health system in USA -7 or 8 qns which I had no clue.
Exam date- 20th may 2015
Score- 8th july 2015, got 243, I am more than happy........
Thanks to GOD, my family and friends........
I am happy to answer any of your questions regarding the preparation.......

pages: 1

|

About Us • Contact Us • Privacy • Terms of Use • Careers

How did you manage with child? How many hours did you study? You must've forgotten a lot of the basics, but the way you managed even with a child, is really commendable. I've married recently. So kind of having problem in studying on a daily basis.

Hi Utsav Roy,
My son is six years now, so it was manageable. But the household work was also there which was difficult as you know. I refreshed the basics from Kaplan lecture notes which were useful, but it was really tough, as I have done it, anybody else can also do it...... Try to study everyday at the same time if possible. All the best to you.....

Hi, Jayasree..
I am an old IMG. graduated in 2009 and finished my internship in 2010. I did my DNB Anaesthesia (3 years 2012-2015) recently and came to U.S few days back on visitor visa. After coming here i am thinking about USMLE, but i am so scared of basic science subjects,specially after a long break.

Is it possible to clear Step-1 with full-time study of 4 months ? i have visitor visa upto january-2016. I am thinking to give USMLE steps in next 6 months as i am here in u.s and can study full-time.

with least amount of study material,is it possible to clear step-1 ?
i mean which material i should use, if i have less time eg.4 months.?

With which subjects and with which book,i should start first ?

Hi, Jayasree..
I am an old IMG. graduated in 2009 and finished my internship in 2010. I did my DNB Anaesthesia (3 years 2012-2015) recently and came to U.S few days back on visitor visa. After coming here i am thinking about USMLE, but i am so scared of basic science subjects,specially after a long break.

Is it possible to clear Step-1 with full-time study of 4 months ? i have visitor visa upto january-2016. I am thinking to give USMLE steps in next 6 months as i am here in u.s and can study full-time.

with least amount of study material,is it possible to clear step-1 ?
i mean which material i should use, if i have less time eg.4 months.?

With which subjects and with which book,i should start first ?

Hi Chandsudani,
It is possible to clear step 1 in 4 months, but you have to work hard. Basically it all depends on how much you want to score and which speciality you want to apply for. The materials which I think essential are Kaplan lecture notes, first aid, uworld qbank and a source for pathology which could be goljan or pathoma. Go through these materials thoroughly and then take an online NBME practice test to assess yourself, if you achieve your target score in practice test,go ahead and write the real test. All the best for your journey.......

Hi Chandsudani,
You can start with Kaplan lecture notes with videos for your understanding of the subject, then do the uworld qbank in respective subjects or topics.

Thanks Jayasree didi, for your reply. I've studied a few subjects from Kaplan lecture notes, and I've found them very useful. They're top notch. I'm thinking about sitting in step 1 in next December. I've seen some study routines for step 1, all of them suggest studying for at least 6-8 hours, which is near impossible for me, as I'm also working in a hospital. I'm thinking how many hours should be enough for me.

Congratulation Dr.Jayasree smiling face

Hi Utsav,
Go ahead, you will definitely succeed. I think if you can read 3-4 hrs everyday that will do. Try to read everyday, but near exams you should spent more hours. All the best......

Good to hear about your scores. I am also an old grad and a mother of 3and half years old daughter and recently moved to us so am planning to prep for usmle. I am very moved by ur post and am gathering all the energy and time i have for the prep. plz do guide me through my prep.....

Hi newdreams,
Thanks a lot. All the very best to your journey. I am happy to help you. Do msg me your doubts.

Hi chandsudani..... I too am an old IMG preparing for usmle..... I have a visitor visa....I want to know if I can go to US now and give step1 from there..... Is it possible?
Congratulations Dr Jayashree.....your advice on preparation will really help

USMLE step 1 is for total how many marks?

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Low score Step 1, high score step 2
UW score vs. Step 1 score
High step 3 score and average step 1&2
show Related resources

USMLEWorld Step 2 CS Course
Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Web Prep
USMLEWorld Step 1 Qbank

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact