Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Step CS mistakes  
Get Adobe Flash player

• 0/5

Author8 Posts

Hey guys I just took step 2 cs in LA. I've had a lot of anxiety over whether I passed or not. Here are my mistakes:

1) forgot to pull the foot stool in all abdo cases (3 cases)
2) did not perform a full neuro or mmse in a case where it was definetly required
3) may have forgot to perform a HEENT exam on a cough case as well as fremitus or percussion. This may have happened on another cough case.
4) forgot one of the patients name on entry.
5) definetly forgot some questions in each case. Two of the questions I missed may have been important. In one case I definetly missed a question important to the differential.
6)PNs were short (never maxed out HPI) may have had too short of an ROS.
7)didn't council on smoking in one case. Didn't council on weight loss/exercise on another, may have been important to the challenge question.
8) may not have showed enough empathy on some cases. Didn't always say sorry. Tried to create a rapport on most as well as partnership.
9) Didn't ask how disease was affecting life in all cases.
10) Put two to three ddxs on most cases. Had one ddx for one (may have missed an
Important question).
11) may have had the wrong differential on two cases.
12) may have repeated questions.
13) didn't mention that I was going to do a pelvic exam in the work up for one case.
14) probably missed some tests on work-up.
15) Most patients were neutral when I left the room. One lady may have been upset. Which is also worrying me.

Things I believe I did ok
1)introduced myself and shook hands on every case
2)tried to build a rapport on most cases as well as partnership
3) tried to be empathetic in most cases. Although I may have not been as empathetic as I should have been in all of them.
4) had reasonable diagnoses in most cases except those I mentioned above.
5) summarized in most cases may have missed one or two.
6) started with an open ended question
7) washed hands every case
8) usually explained what I was doing in my physical.
9)closed every case. Gave more than one diagnosis except for one case.
10) did PAMHUGSFOSS on all cases. Although I only asked about gyn history when relevant.
11)believe most of my notes were relatively complete although they may have been too abbreviated.

Sorry for the really long post. I've been very worried that I failed. Any feedback would be appreciated positive or negative. I just want an honest opinion. Thanks very much in advance.

PS: whatever the outcome I'll update you. So future test takers can learn from my mistakes etc...

Hello everyone,

If you are about to take the USMLE Step 2 CS Test for the first time and you would like some help. We guarantee you will pass your exam on the FIRST TRY.

We specialize in this particular exam preparation and we have had 100% success with our students. Call us if you need help.

Sincerely,

Matt Tallon
Academic Director
Medical Health Centers, LLC.
7650 S. County Line Rd.
Burr Ridge, IL 60527
(630) 568-5627
www.medicalhealthcenters.net

Just updating the forum that I passed step 2 cs. There's plenty of advice out there on what to do and all of that so I won't bore you with the details. I'm just posting for any test taker that's living through the nightmare of the wait. It was one of the darker periods in my life. Look at the original post, I made a ton of mistakes, forgot a ton of questions, didn't do half the stuff people say to do for CIS points and I still passed with nothing in the borderline or even close for that matter. All
I'm trying to say is I know the wait is tough but look at all my errors and hopefully that gives u some comfort. If anyone has any questions for me, let me know.

Just updating the forum that I passed step 2 cs. There's plenty of advice out there on what to do and all of that so I won't bore you with the details. I'm just posting for any test taker that's living through the nightmare of the wait. It was one of the darker periods in my life. Look at the original post, I made a ton of mistakes, forgot a ton of questions, didn't do half the stuff people say to do for CIS points and I still passed with nothing in the borderline or even close for that matter. All
I'm trying to say is I know the wait is tough but look at all my errors and hopefully that gives u some comfort. If anyone has any questions for me, let me know.

Congrats Iskand for passing the exam and thanks for updating the forum.

I have a question about PE.
FA describes many systems examined in each case.
some people say just do abd exam if it is abd pain case and just HEENT and chest in a respi case , some say do heart and lung auscultation in each case, what was ur approach as far as PE is concerned.
is it ok to write no MRG for no murmurs, rubs or gallops

thanks again for the detailed experience

i.m really disorientated. my friend Asian woman do not finish 3 cases and other 2 cases do not finish PN and pass in phily. 2 of my friend studied with me went in phily same day. really good guy fall and really weak pass. all nonwhite people i knew pass from 1st time, and other my friend working doctor internist jew from london with genuine english fall multiply time.... really disorientated

Mistakes can be avoided easily...I took coaching at Target USMLE...
visit them at https://www.targetusmle.com/step-2-cs-schedule.php

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

step 2 cs mistakes
Kaplan mistakes FA mistakes
mistakes in MTB
show Related resources

USMLEWorld Step 2 CS Course
Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Web Prep
USMLEWorld Step 1 Qbank

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact