Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Hemostasis and temperature  

• 0/5

Author1 Posts

Hi,
First of all i'd like to say that this question is theory only,no intent. And stress this sentence.twice. smiling face
Today we were discussing accuracy of csi shows and were asked why are people commiting suicides shown in a bath with slit wrists. And whether it is possible.
The initial though was vasodilation. However, if they continue losing blood and progress toward hypovolemic shock, shouldn't the sympathetic system kick in?plus the stress and thus additional release of adrenalin are in my mind enough to cause vasoconstriction. Not to mention hemostasis.
Or is it possible that the warmth of the bath is enough to overpower vasoconstriction and somehow interfere with blood coagulation?which just seems strange.i mean would a person with same injuries die in a hot desert? Just because it's hot.
(And that is if that person has cut deep enough to get an artery).
Furthermore people survived losing an entire arm without bleeding out (with proper care obviously) so i reckon that the extent of injury is a relevant point in the discussion.
Once again, i'm not contemplating the act and i apologise for the scenario, but I can't figure it out. And if you forget the circumstances the question really is - to what extent, if any, would increased temperature interfere with hemostasis?Is it even a relevant variable to consider when dealing with trauma involving blood loss?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Hemostasis
Hemostasis
hemostasis q!!
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact