Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Better late than never  

• 0/5

Author1 Posts

I took my Step 3 at the beginning of my PGY-2 year. I was initially scheduled at the end of my intern year but it was cancelled because of a power outage. It was August 2013 and in NY. After my Step 2 I knew it was basically an endurance marathon. I was more nervous about the CCS as I am not very computer savvy, but after doing the online practice version I was more certain how to manage the clock.

I am a psychiatry resident and we have to do 4 months in Internal Medicine on the floors. While I hated every minute of it while on the floors (it was scut, scut, scut) it did end up helping me immensely with my MCQs. If you are a psych resident I recommend taking the Step 3 shortly after your IM and Neuro rotations.

I spent 6 weeks studying for my Step 3. I used USMLEWorld and ran the questions twice. I took a week's vacation near my test date to go over my incorrect answers and also to practice time management on my CCS. I tend to go through my Steps very quickly as I am on the philosophy that you know the answer or you don't. I finished an hour early the first day and second day I was done by noon. Then I went home and watched useless television and ate junk food. My results were about 80% and I don't recall the 3 digit score. At that point in my career I just needed to pass and didn't care about competitive scores. So in the end, mission accomplished.

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Late Applicant " very late "
How Late am I?
Its never too late....
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact